07-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
Torque converters have been around for ages and they just work! DCT is more complex, but can achieve better economy numbers and faster gear changes (we're talking milliseconds that only matter in a super car). Fuel economy is probably the main reason why BMW is switching to DCT for its smallest petrol X1. All the other models will continue to use the old 8 speed Aisin box, which is fantastic in my opinion.

The dry clutch DCTs tend to overheat in performance cars. And wet clutch DCTs are more complex, heavy, and not as economic. As I said, I don't know much about the one used in sDrive 18i. But I'm assuming it's a dry clutch for better fuel economy.

Long story short, you won't really need to worry about transmission overheating with a small engine. Just go for test drive to see if it changes smoothly and promptly. It's not a V12 Lamborghini!!

Tax-wise, BMW.de claims it emits only 1gr/km more than the manual box. Economy is also the same. You're basically paying extra for the convenience.
The 18i with the 6-speed Aisin emits 124g instead of 119g with the manual one!
Probably a 7 speed gearbox would also result in less consumption especially at high speeds.
However the 6-speed Aisin that my 18i has is nice, with fast and smooth gear changes. I am totally satisfied by it! I also hope that it will prove as reliable as other Japanese auto products I have owned (I have at least one Toyota in the family for the last 20 years. My wife is now driving a Yaris Hybrid).
Actually, being totally satisfied (let alone a couple of ergonomic mistakes) with the X1 until now, I just hope to be at least 80% as reliable as my Toyotas have been!

Last edited by iceman7; 07-13-2017 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0