07-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylegreg View Post
You will never be able to live within the speed limits!

I've been using a 120d 4 door automatic hatchback for almost 3 years now, having bought one of the very first ones (chassis nr somewhere in the lower 5000).

My car had spent almost all of his 100.000 km life somewhere between 170 km/h and flat out 230-ish. And yet I start every journey with the firm intention to stick with the limits (that would be 130 km/h on highways here in Italy). One overtake leads to another and soon I find myself well over the legal and moral limit. And the car is just incredibly happy with it. The cockpit is perfect, the auto gearbox always knows my desires and you just have to think about changing direction and it is already done...

I have tried the 130i but the diesel is decidedly more rewarding around 90% of the time (the only time you can feel the shortcomings of the auto box and the "I don't wanna rev more than 4500 rpm" diesel engine, is on twisty mountain roads). The noise though! That is an other issue. In the meantime I can't even immagine how the 123d and the 135i would behave!

The balance of the car is fantastic, you can go from mild understeer to 4 wheel slide to oversteer (all under control), in one single highway exit ramp.

I must admit that I had quite a few glitches that I would not have expected from a BMW (the car was recalled several times by BMW, and I also had some turbo pressure issues), but they were nothing to campare to the fight I had with my wife about my driving conduct.

So, to sum it up, don't buy one. I am myself looking for a big lumpy car (an Discovery 3 or maybe a Volvo estate), low on power and overweight, to save my marriage and driver's license. So it is up to you and your self control!
Thanks for sharing. That was great!

Based upon your story if I buy a 135i I'll end up in jail.
Appreciate 0