01-31-2024, 02:55 PM   #16
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by khp3655 View Post
The general message I am getting is:
1. It doesn't hurt to ask for diminished value, but don't expect much.
2. Don't waste too much time or effort on it, and have low expectations.
3. The $1-2K loss I will probably take down the road isn't really worth fighting over. Life isn't always fair and no one is going to go out of their way to address this.

I guess I will focus my attention on getting a high quality repair and making sure they replace the gashed, slightly displaced, and dented bumper cover rather than do some filler and paint job.
Correct on all points. DV is quite subjective; any appraiser, insurance company, dealer, etc is going to use their own mathematical formula to calculate DV. Who is right and who is wrong is always subject to interpretation, and it's operating under the assumption that you're going to sell your car immediately after getting it back from repairs. Someone buying your car today will care about a crash repair to a bumper in 2024, so there's 'X' amount of value associated with that. Assuming you keep it long term, no one buying your car twenty years from now is going to care, so DV is zero. An accurate DV value is somewhere in that big ol' grey area.
Appreciate 2
khp3655101.00