03-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #20
rameer
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
O.k. Just to help with obvious confusion .

‘Route” maps are for X1 (F48) cars made from launch date until approx 07/2017 [cars with ENTRYNAV HeadUnits] . Not for cars made from 07/2017 will have “way” maps [ENTRYNAV2 HeadUnits]. You can tell which version you have by going into the navigation menu. All cars should be able to update their mapping using USB method. OTA updates are single country update anyway, so if you have North America Maps then the advantage of USB update is you will update US and Canada (presume Mexico also).

In order to use USB updates your USB must be in FAT32 format (not exFAT or NTFS). You will need to save file to a computer first and unzip it, do not save download map file direct to the USB. The unzipped file should be in a folder called NAVDxxx_xxx [xxx are file version references] which you will then need save to the USB route directory not into a named folder. As an example if your USB is showing as E:// on your computer then save the download file to E:// NOT E://any name.
Finally if your USB is not in the right FAT32 format then reformat it but please note you will only be able to format a USB easily in FAT32 format if it is 32gb or less in size . Formatting a USB above 32gb into FAT32 format requires tools / special programme which will partition the drive.

If you get format right then just insert the USB into slot and car will read and automatically start update process, i.e. it will see map, check if it is more recent than current version and ask you if you wish to install. If you are plugging your USB into slot and nothing happens it will probably be because the USB is in wrong format or your download maps have not been saved to the USB route directory or your car has more recent “Way” maps not “Route” mapping.
Hi,

Can you help me with this.

I have downloaded the zip file and extracted it and saved the contents of the folder to the root drive (not the folder itself). I have formatted the USB to FAT32. When I plugged in the USB to the center console and turned on accessories nothing happened. I checked my maps to make sure I have “north America Route”

I have 2016 X1 (F48)

Thanks ina advance.
Appreciate 0