View Single Post
      02-06-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
Hazard
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: F10 530d xdrive

Question E90 as a family car

Hi everybody!
I'm from Moscow, Russia, so I apologize for my English (of course, it is not perfect, by I'll try to be clear)
I have BMW E39 523iA and I like my car but it becames old
A month ago I was just about to order VW Passat with full sets of options (sunroof, Webasto, etc.) but passing by my nearest BMW dealer (I had had my E39 serviced for a couple of years there) I and my wife decided to take a look on E90. We were suggested a test-drive of 320iA (we don't have a big choice of test-drives cars in Moscow) and I was not impressed with it's performance.
So, 4 cylineders are not my choice , really... And it doesn't have many good things like leather, folded rear seats, etc.
I must notice that E90 for Russian market are made in Russia...except 330 and 320d (diesel) and x-drive versions. The cars made in Russia have fixed set of options, so you cannot have leather on 320, or sunroof on 325... You even cannot choose gear type - all 6 cylinders cars come with Steptronic.
I'm now thinking about E90 as my next family car. 330 is very expensive for me (55 k Euro - about 66 k USD).
So, I must make a choice between two packs of 325 (or return for Passat, or maybe used E60 ):
1) 325 Bussines: about 45 k USD (with discount) with clearance of 144 mm - that's pretty good, because winters in Moscow are very snowy :mad: and on ugly 16" wheels of 154 design.
2) 325 Dynamic: about 50 k USD (with discount), with clearance of 131 mm, for our conditions this is worse, but with nice 17" wheels, sport seats and CD-changer.
I've read this forum a lot, and now I dare to ask happy E90 owners some questions:
1) Does someone use usual (non-sport) seats? Do you feel comfortable, espesially in long trips?
2) Family men, who have children and wives who likes to put a lot of baggage even if you go just for weekend - is it enough room on rear seats for long trips for you kids who are about 9 - 12 years old? Do they feel good on the rear seats? For me (183 cm) they didn't seem very roomy and comfortable... Is there enough room in a trunk of E90 to put a baggage for a family?
I'm sure that BMW is Ultimate Driving Machine (all our car magazines enjoyed testing it) and I like that very much, but I cannot have many cars - only one, and I must care about members of my family - my wife and my daughter like the exterior and interiour of E90, too and I don' t want they will hate the car, because it is not comfortable for them and their baggage
Appreciate 0