09-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
Yesterday was a fantastic meet. The day started out looking rather poor, in fact it looks 'pour" with the clouds, precipitation and fog. But the weather broke and I think some of us might actually have gotten a bit of sunburn.

Even so, I think there are a couple of things to remember, good and bad, for UK3 and beyond. Actually, this doesn't apply solely to the UK, either.
  1. First, devise a way to remind all to remove number plate covers BEFORE driving off. RR, I hope you didn't have any problem on the way home and thanks for the free advertisement. How far did you get before remembering or were prompted to remove the covers?
  2. Prepare for rain but hope for good weather. We did and my gazebo is STILL in its bag.
  3. Arrive at the site early to stake out real estate. Fortunately, we had Marilyn's sharp eyes to find a 'secluded' spot. OK, so it wasn't all that secluded but who cares. It looked good.
  4. Have backup plans in case Marilyn doesn't show up in time.
  5. Don't park the cars so close to a wall or hedge.
  6. Bring someone that isn't afraid to challenge interlopers to not park between our cars. Viv, I nominate you. You did a fine job.
  7. Don't use double sided mounting tape for plate covers unless you have a bottle of Goo-Gone, Sticky-Stuff Remover and/or blasting caps at hand. Better solution would be Blue-Tack.
  8. If you bring a gas grill, bring a grill lighter, too. That was a pain in the gluteus. Also, bring a bag big enough to contain it on the drive home.
  9. When planning a drive through the country, ensure everyone knows the planned route. Don't rely solely on the Sat Nav. It has a mind of its own and you can't argue with it. You can ignore it but if you know better than it, what's the point? It was interesting that the group got separated, the two groups each got lost, and yet arrived at the destination within a minute or two of each other.
  10. Bamboo kebab sticks burn on a grill.
  11. Bring ice. Coca-cola does NOT taste good when it's warm.
  12. Name tags?
OK, that's my take. Anything I missed?

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting the new members and renewing acquaintance with the inaugural meet members. 14 wasn't bad. I'm sure we can do much, much better. Looking forward to the photos, especially the night shots. I'm surprised someone didn't call the cops while we were doing that.
Name badges would have been a great idea - since I forget peoples names within 30 secs of meeting them.

Plus my concentration span was pretty poor on account of my lovely but distracting kids.

Always a good idea to check the venue is open.

.... and if you soak the bamboo sticks in water before you make the kebabs they don't burn !

.... (nb you can further improve this by wrapping 2 housebricks in kitchen foil and using them to support either end of the kebab - this lifting it off the grill)

Possibly - 2 convoys might be a good idea - one for 'spirited drivers' and one for the more sensible.

I admit I got carried away near bunny - but in my defence - Paul was encouraging me by keeping up.
Appreciate 0