05-25-2020, 05:40 AM   #765
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
My ticker literally drowned itself in retained fluid, and I am on near-lethal doses of diuretics (aka: vitamin pee) with a 1.5 liter per day total fluid restriction. Can't go outside for more than a minute or two without the very real risk of crossing the dehydration line. I went from someone who would walk 5+ miles a day on weekends and swap 16 tires on/off my race car into somebody who can't even break three lug bolts before retreating to the house for a 20 minute break.

I peed out 58 pounds (7+ gallons) of water over six weeks in the hospital a few years ago, and left with 15% ticker function (EF) and a 24/7 portable IV infusion of heart meds (7-pound albatross hanging around my neck) for over two years. I don't wish either of these on even my worst enemy.....
I hope things go well and improve for you. My dad is the same. He's diabetic, had a 4X bypass at 49yo, and multiple stents before then.

This last episode was .kidney failure. Went into the hospital at 214lbs, came out around 165lbs. I've been working with him on his diet, and he's down to 150lbs even. His EF was low, but improved after getting the water off. I have him doing more endurance work now trying to improve things.

But he will be on dialysis for the rest of his life.

I guess that's why I'm so obsessed about my health with diet and exercise. My family's genetics aren't in my favor, so I've always made sure to try and stay in shape although some could argue I go overboard.

But I can see the same pattern already developing in my younger brother.....and I'm constantly on his case about it