View Single Post
      04-26-2024, 04:26 PM   #78
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
Not sure. I agree with you and disagree on a few items.

To me, on stock tires and running stock pressures, the 5 feels like it will lose grip earlier than the M340 (which I test drove). This feeling is exacerbated in the front-heavy M550.

I run lower pressures now, based strictly on weight (2.0R, 2.2F), and my 5er sticks really well and I have a lot of confidence to push.

I think if you were to make one change to the M550, aside from something simple like tires or pressures, then you should look at dampers. BMW dampers are too soft on rebound which is exacerbated with higher tire pressure. The car gets bouncy (as you mentioned) and skatey.

I think the M340 probably has a better setup from the factory, as the 3er is just a tick more oriented toward sporty driving. If anything you should play with tire pressure on the M340, as you could probably push it even more. At about 1800kg curb weight with tires with 95/99 load ratings, you could also try 2.2F and 2.0R
i'm just describing that i'm feeling the DHP is reducing the cornering G Forces in tight bends. up to a point, when the weight of the car can no longer be masked by the DHP (higher speed corners).

the 3 series is a beast on handling with the right tires (factory tires are 225 front with 190mm tread, i swapped to Michelin 245 front with 225 tread and that thing would have been a track monster). still not at peace with selling the 3 but i don't have a track to play at and i hated the "HiFi" sound system and the seats gave me a sore back.

but the 5 ... ahh .. feel like a boss in it.
Appreciate 0