View Single Post
      03-27-2024, 02:31 PM   #21
Allworth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d (E84)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I appreciate the tutorial in this thread but I also don’t agree that a new tensioner would make any difference in terms of timing.

The tensioner will act on the slack/return side of the chain loop. The ‘driven’ side of the chain loop will always have the chain in tension between the sprockets, and any effect on timing will only be a product of chain stretch rather than chain tension.

I’ll leave my tensioner as-is for now, because the chain isn’t making any of the telltale noises, but it’s good to know that it’s an easy-ish job if needs be.
I understand what you on about. But is a bit more complicated if you add vibrations and oil into equation. Simple example would be a bicycle with a stretched chain. Put a bicycle on a stand with an endlessly stretched chain and turn pedals, it will work as long as it's on the stand and still. Then try to ride it with a stretched chain and it will surely misbehave.

For the sake of experiment I have ordered tensioner, I think it should be easy for me to see a difference on my N47 with 120k miles that is making slapping noise for a first 20 seconds on negative ambient temperatures, although it may take some time to figure it out.