View Single Post
      03-26-2024, 06:12 AM   #7
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave550i View Post
Did you make sure that the cams were not ready to jump over? like when on top dead centre i remember changing the tensioner on my E30 M3 to the E36 one and the bastard jumped a tooth when i unscrewed the old one they were oil pressurised as well had to pump it up with a oil can finished up a real pain in arse
That is a very good point, but no, I just wound the old one out and stuck the new one in. It certainly doesn't sound or feel like it jumped time.

I know of the tensioners you mention as my old VWs had a similar one, but there was no residual oil pressure in the tensioner I took out. Either it only holds pressure whilst the engine is running, or the old tensioner was bad. The reason they changed it was for not holding pressure, so likely the second reason!

The tensioner is sprung loaded, and given the big chain wrap around the N57's single cam sprocket, it's more likely it would have been a gradual slackening of the chain whilst the old tensioner was unscrewed, which the new one would take up again.

Diesel timing is more critical than petrol, and the cams and fuel pump share the same chain, so any jump in timing would be immediately apparent. Diesels run like a badgers arse if the timing is off. In my experience, there is also considerably less cam whip on a straight 6 than there is a 4 cylinder.

I know where you're coming from though..... and I hope I got away with it
Appreciate 1