View Single Post
      03-09-2024, 12:04 AM   #5732
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

"All the Light We Cannot See". It's a four-part miniseries on Netflix. My wife and I *really* enjoyed it. The cats even got into it. We finished the last episode this evening.

Aria Mia Loberti, the lead actress, is pretty mind-boggling: She's essentially blind, is trained in ballet and martial arts, has a yoga certification, graduated summa cum laude with three Majors in Philosophy, Communication Studies & Political Science, two Minors in Ancient Greek Languages & Rhetoric in the Honors program, has a Master's Degree in Ancient Rhetoric with Distinction (on a Fullbright Scholarship to London, no less) and has been working on her Doctorate in Ancient Rhetoric.

Did I mention that she did all this while being functionally blind due to a genetic abnormality?

Think about what *she's* accomplished the next time you're lazing on the couch complaining about the life not being fair and that the fridge's too far away to go get a beer.

And then to top it off? She sent in a demo tape to a global casting audition for this role on a frelling whim.

And got the part.

With no acting training.

Or experience.

And it was her first audition.

*Ever*.

Hugh Laurie and Mark Ruffalo are in it as well (and you only wonder what House and The Hulk are doing in wartime France for a few minutes). The CGI isn't great but it's not central to the story so you really don't mind. Overall, it's shot in a very lovely, very warm "film" technique that doesn't give you that overly digital feel-- a lot of the movie feels like you stepped into a photo from the 1940's.

And the Nazi's? Yeah-- *Definitely* the Bad Guys. They maybe could have toned down their utter repulsiveness a bit. (But their uniforms *do* look fabulous. )

Well worth the watch! I just ordered the book for my wife.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 03-09-2024 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0