View Single Post
      01-09-2024, 06:05 PM   #17
Rook24V
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 m40i

I repair BMWs for a living. We typically use silglyde on our brake pads as anti-squeal compound when you install them. Apply it to all contact points on the pads (as in, where the pad backing plate contact the caliper, definitely NOT where the pad material contacts the rotor).

Brake rotors should ideally not be re-used if you can help it. They typically are past minimum wear after 1 set of brake pads. I might try to get away with it on rear brakes, but on the front brakes I would opt for new rotors unless they were amazingly well above minimum thickness.

If you do change the rotors out, get coated rotors. Zimmerman brand are great. ATE, Textar, Pagid, all make acceptable rotors as well. Coated rotors are going to FEEL like they're grinding on the first few stops, especially on your bed-in test drive, but that goes away very quickly.

Always replace the sensors, even if they haven't quite tripped off yet. The plastic in them is now EXTREMELY BRITTLE from the heat cycles they've experienced. Remember your brake pads get many hundreds of degrees under heavy braking, then cool off to room temp or cooler when not in use. This cycling makes the plastic very brittle. The liklihood of you breaking the sensor on removal is very high, or breaking when installing it. Sensor brand really doesn't matter, get the cheapest one.

Brake fluid reservoir is up by the windshield on the driver's side underneath the plastic covering. It should be flushed every 2 years, fyi.

If anyone has any specific questions let me know!
Appreciate 4
glennbk595.50
jsh1391722.00