View Single Post
      10-20-2023, 10:38 AM   #6713
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

A car I had before ABS was a brand new 1987 Supra. Was driving one day with my wife and two kids (my son was just born) and this lady runs a stop sign just as I was entering the intersection. With no time to think I slammed on my brakes and skidded through the whole intersection and just missed this lady by inches. She drove on completely oblivious to what had just happened.

I was about to go after her but thought what's the point, and I did have my whole family in the car. So I got myself together and started to continue on my way home and as I was driving I heard and felt a thump, thump, thump, thump. I had made a flat spot on all 4 tires from the long skid through the intersection.

Needless to say I had to buy new tires that day. In retrospect I should've gone after the woman for some compensation but I think that would've been futile, plus like I said I had my family in the car and the lady was gone before I could get her license plate.

ABS would've definitely been worthwhile given a situation like that for me, though it could've been a lot worse. I could've collided with that woman. We were very lucky that day.

Edit: I had no knowledge or experience in modulating the brakes manually.