View Single Post
      10-04-2023, 08:36 AM   #22
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Thanks for posting. This is insane. I’m only using wired chargers in our cars now.

I’ve heard that apple will replace the phone under warranty - or perhaps apple care is required - can anyone confirm? For those whose phone failed, were you also using apple CarPlay and/or hotspot or was the phone just overheated and damaged from charging alone?

BMW should provide a cooling solution for the charger in the future, as this is a continuous problem. Honestly the chargers are fairly ineffective anyway. In the X7 we have cooled cupholders so theoretically they could do something similar.

But ultimately Apple made a mistake here with thermal management. I heard there’s also a SW update that will throttle things back to reduce overheating. Haven’t seen it yet.

Apple replaced mine under the Apple care program, if I didn’t have that i believe they still would have replaced it as their diagnostic tool said that the hardware module had failed. However it won’t take long for Apple to put the connection with bmw chargers together, and at that point it will depend on who is blaming who for the issue. If you have Apple care it won’t matter as they are very good at covering accidental damage etc, just having the warranty might be another story

I was using the charger and apple car play