07-05-2023, 09:36 PM   #44
abbike18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthespeed View Post
Have you considered spending those budgets to buy the car that you fit your style and taste better instead?

I used to spend $$$$ on mods to turn my X3 as sporty as it can be, but then eventually I traded in and get the Supra as my fun car.
Just my experience, and look forward to seeing you expand all the potential of this beast!

Good question, and yes I thought about it. It really comes down to this...we needed a family car and I wanted a car that was fun to drive/satisfy my urge to have fun driving. That leaves two options given a fixed total budget of about 50k, give or take:
1.) Buy a boring crossover/minivan and an older sedan
2.) Get only a X3 M40i

We chose #2 because when we go on family trips (often in the mountains) that means we have a car that is fun to drive.
If you look at what you can get for option 1 at $25k each, the family car is really not very inspiring.

When it came to X3 M40i vs X3M, it came down to gas mileage and the fact that my wife really hates busy rides, so the comfort adaptive setting of the M40i was much better.

Not the right choice for everyone, but it was right for us.

I've also learned that no matter what car I get, I will always mod it. I just like learning about the car I have and experimenting with it. At this point the mods are for the enjoyment of it, not to make the car in to some goal.
IAmSpeed1197.00
dmicah781.00
Rottweiler4074.50