View Single Post
      07-02-2023, 10:40 PM   #50
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
One thing I think servers have forgotten is how to make things right or comp you when things go wrong in order to earn tips. I’ve had many meals come out late, cold, wrong side or they somehow forgot to bring an appetizer etc. None seem willing to go back to the kitchen to make sure the meal is right or willing to discount your meal to make things right. I’m just tipping for you to be a mindless machine which is why many of these jobs will be replaced by them.

I’ve even noticed I have to ask for drink refills more often or the server just vanishes. They also seem to have a process they can’t deviate from because it must be overwhelming. When you seat me and make me wait 5-10 minutes, just long enough for me to consider walking out, and finally show up and just want to take my drink order when I’m ready to order my meal but you get perplexed because it’s too much information or something it just makes everything much slower and frustrating. Turning tables more quickly gives you more opportunities to make tips. I realize some people will eat then sit forever, but if you give quick service, most people will leave once they are done.
Servers can't comp you if there are issues with your meal. That has to come from the manager. I know. I used to wait tables while in college. Now, if the server doesn't approach the manager to explain the situation, then that's on the server.

On the topic of drink refills. I was at a restaurant one time where there was a shift change. I was sitting close enough to where the manager was having a pep talk with the incoming shift wait staff. One of the things that struck me that she said was her reminding the wait staff to refill the drinks when the glass is half full. Did I receive good service that day at this restaurant? You bet.

Having waited tables, I know how hard of a job it is if you're actually providing good service. So I always tip 20% as my base line. More if the service was exceptional. You'd really have to piss me off for me to go below 20%.
Appreciate 2
c1pher4690.50