United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
All nice scenarios, but the majority of the market can't afford multiple cars to have an ICE for the 1% roadtrip. And the majority of the market doesn't have private charging capability. And to build all the necessary chargers to make roadtripping comparable to ICE, most locations outside of large cities will never be profitable at the current 250 - 300 mile range most EV get. The chargers will sit mostly unused not generating revenue. The Govenment will need to pay for them. Then what happens when the magic 600 mile battery debuts? Even more mostly unused or never used chargers.
I would argue that renting the ICE car for the 1% to .1% still makes more sense... The wear and tear rock chips, etc are rarely worth it.

Also it is still cheaper to buy a 200mile range EV AND another road trip car than it is to buy a 500mile range EV...

A 500mi range EV would be the wrong car for daily commutes (hauling around a ton of unneeded battery weight) and the 200mile car is the wrong one for a road trip.

This is all about getting past personal preferences that make no economic sense.... People feel more comfortable in their own car on the road trip so they take it when it is really better to just rent.

I tend to take the X5 on roadtrips but really renting a sedan or even minivan would make more sense. I know that and therefore don't complain. The EV owners that road trip should also understand that it isn't really the right car for that.

I think the biggest barrier to EVs isn't public charging stations it is home charging stations for people that don't have garages (which I don't see as a real problem other than the charger needs to be wired and installed on a post or something), live in apartments, etc. The home chargers need to be solved first. Tax credits to home builders would be a good start and probably exist. Credits to home owners definitely already exist.