10-15-2022, 04:06 AM   #1515
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
In my time, car things were much simpler.
BMW had series 3,5 and 7 - also the odd 6 series from Moonlighting (Bruce Willis - Cybill Shepherd).
Having lived in a time capsule for so long, when I decided to start owning and driving cars again (1-2 years ago) I looked at BMW's as my childhood memories were those of mighty sports cars with impeccable quality.
So I started paying attention at traffic lights and auto shops, only to notice the BMW's were now so many, coming in different shapes and sizes and usually driven by women and young lads.
The old 3 sized car that could take my family on a long trip and back, has now become the new 1 or 2 series or X,Y,Z series - you name it.
The old 5 series that was a statement for the middle aged white collar person, has now become the new 3 series with so many electronics, my son's XBOX looks like a remote control. And so on.
But what stayed true, was some -very few- cars delivered by some passionate old timers at the M department, who refused to let electronics and luxyry designers take control, over the brand's traditional priorities: Fun to drive, focus on driver, focus on road dynamics and performance.
These are the cars I will be looking to buy when my old F10 commits suicide, fed up with my tuning and modding attempts. At least the older generations could take some upgrading, some experimenting - even though you need a good techie to properly tune any injector these days..
BTW tuning is about optimising air flow - not always increasing boost or complicated mapping of the ECU..
Now I am looking at the recent BMW cars announced. The M2 looks quite hardcore despite the overly protruding rear side and pumped arches. You can easily tune the car to deliver 100hp more. And you can easily upgrade the appearance. I do anticipate this car will be the new racing platform for BMW almost resembling the old E30 M3 in terms of agressiveness.
And that's all from me folks. Enjoy the rest of your day driving your cars and dreaming electric dreams
Appreciate 3