View Single Post
      02-11-2022, 10:31 AM   #40
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 72 240Z, tacorunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
There is no major engine change other than a stroked up 2.4L, which likely makes matters worse due to longer strokes.

You would need at least a pseudo dry sump system like that of a non GT 911 and a deep oil pan with baffle to counter these issues, and Subaru, who makes these engines, have not made those changes. By the time you made these changes, the total cost would be retailing around a nice E92 M3.

Sure it would be cheaper to run in the long run because it is lighter, but do you really want to spend this much money in a Japanese boxer 4 that makes less than 250hp? If I wanted a flat four engine, I could pick up a nicely used 718 with none of these issues.
It sounds like you are speaking from a position of speculation.

FA24 is based on other FA24 (ie Ascent), not necessarily a bored/stroked iteration of the previous gen GT86/BRZ FA20. I don’t think we know much about the new powerplant, but generally a second iteration such as this is the ideal scenario to remedy any woes.

To suggest that a ‘pseudo’ dry sump system is the only way to improve oiling capabilities on an engine is also quite an overstatement.

EDIT: Just to add, I have certainly heard of those who had engine problems with the previous model, just as I have heard of those who track regularly who have not had issues. But my point is that substantial changes to engines occur often which are under the radar of information available to casual internet surfers. For instance, even the last generation model saw substantial engine changes in 2017, details can be found here. And that's on the same model, with the 'same engine' - now we are talking about a whole new engine. So, suffice to say, I think its only reasonable to say we don't know how this engine compares or what it is capable of, at least at this time.

I would like a GR86/BRZ because of the raw / fun / pure driving experience it offers, that I don’t think can be found in very many places in the market (a statement that holds validity back through quite a few years). If you are choosing your vehicles based solely on country of origin and engine power, then yes, I can very much see this not being a car for you.

Last edited by ol doc gully; 02-11-2022 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6734.50