View Single Post
      04-26-2021, 09:57 PM   #9161
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Each to their own. I have a friend who has nearly been killed twice in Mustangs - so Mustangs must be really dangerous cars to ride in right? She avoids them at all costs, but I'm sure even you would question her logic in that.

Like driving, much depends on the pilot and my trust in their capabilities. I have a friend I trust completely, and others I wouldn't fly with. You quote numbers of single engine planes crashing - did you research how many flights are done by single engined aircraft per year too?

Anyway - not going to get into this here. As I said - each to their own.
Like I said - everyone has their opinions, and pilots obviously feel differently, otherwise they wouldn't fly. And honestly, I've watched a few cars and coffee meets on youtube, so nope, I'm not questioning her logic, lol.

I understand the point you are getting at though. My point is, for me, it doesn't matter. Regardless of the fact there are more single engined flights than commercial, the number of crashes are higher for single engined flights. Yes, more lives would be lost in a commercial crash. But they happen very infrequently. Not quite true with single engine. So, on a per hollow tube that I set foot in that goes airborne, my risk is greater in a single engine prop vs commercial. Specifically the risk is that said hollow tube connects with the ground far quicker / at a greater rate of angle than initially planned upon setting out.

When you look at the safety data, would you agree that commercial flights in general have improved upon their accident / fatality rates, while private flights have stayed steady? That is basically my point. Sure, you might be an awesome pilot. But I don't know that. Do I wish to entrust my life to you on the hopes that you might be a good pilot? Not particularly. Unless the benefits that I perceive from taking the flight outweigh the calculated risks that I see from who I judge you to be as a pilot, person, and how the plane appears to my untrained eye. And there may be benefits here - I don't disagree. But the days of me taking a joyride are pretty much over...again, unless I know the person extremely well and am reasonably confident the likely benefits outweigh the perceived likelihood of the risks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
My late old man used to say that he would not fly with 50% of the pilots at the airport where he kept his planes. Sadly, he perished on final approach, so my guess is that 50% of the other pilots would have him on their would not fly with list.....
Is this a joke or for real - honestly, I can't tell. If its from a stand up comedy show, I didn't watch it so it isn't ringing any bells. Appreciated it anyways.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615647.50