04-26-2021, 08:34 PM   #9158
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I'll say this - you're not wrong to be nervous. I always was too - now I just tend to avoid where possible. Did air cadets as a kid, that was cool, got to go up in the singles and gliders, and been up in my fair share as an adult, once in a glorified hang glider with a lawnmower engine strapped to the back (forget what that was called, but you flew it with a bar), but no more. Those pilots will tell you statistically what the number of crashes are per number of planes, and you can compare them commercially but I don't care. Still a lot more crashes in singles than commercial (although commercial takes more lives), so I'm not interested.

Had a client who has a Cessna, the airport got bad fuel (they think - subject of an ongoing lawsuit), one plane managed to get back to land by gliding in, another didn't, and his plane got so messed up he had to do a complete overhaul for six figures. Too much can go wrong.

Dinonz I'm sure will have a different opinion. I have an acquaintance who has his private pilot license. They think different of course. Doesn't really matter who is right though - you do what you think is best. Don't rely on someone else when it comes to something that can directly impact you.
Each to their own. I have a friend who has nearly been killed twice in Mustangs - so Mustangs must be really dangerous cars to ride in right? She avoids them at all costs, but I'm sure even you would question her logic in that.

Like driving, much depends on the pilot and my trust in their capabilities. I have a friend I trust completely, and others I wouldn't fly with. You quote numbers of single engine planes crashing - did you research how many flights are done by single engined aircraft per year too?

Anyway - not going to get into this here. As I said - each to their own.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34192.50