04-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #2546
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
@Sedan_Clan you mentioned around 700 people leaving the force this year. Which departments is that coming from? How many recruits are coming in? Just trying to get a better idea of how that affects everything vs assuming.
I'm with L.A. County. We have zero recruits coming in. Last year we didn't run many classes at all. If I remember correctly we ran maybe 5 max; all half the size of a normal class due to COVID (...60-ish trainees versus 110-ish; a mixture of Deputy Sheriff Trainees [D.S.T.] and Police Officer Recruits from Participating Agencies). Compare that to 2019 where we were running academy classes every 3 or 4 weeks and using three different academy locations (..which allowed us to run five classes simultaneously). I was at the academy last week and the week prior to that, and there is currently one class that is about to graduate that has less than 10 D.S.T.'s; it's mostly full of officer recruits for other police agencies. There's a possibility we may run one class this summer, but that class will be for people who are already on the department as a D.S.T., but who were unable to start the academy last year due to COVID. At the current time our entire training staff has been farmed out to do other things since we aren't running classes. The academy was like a ghost town. We will be severely impacted by the 700 retirements.
Appreciate 3
rebekahb3142.50
Murf99314118.00
mahalom3163.00