View Single Post
      03-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #386
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well, I'd not be so sure. I have a work colleague, a systems engineer, serious tech-head who bought a Model 3 for the tech and the self-driving capability. His car is a 2019 issue.

When I periodically ask how the self-driving mode is working, he has pointed out several times that at night and in inclement weather, and especially in construction zones, the Autopilot system gives up and asks for human override. Poorly marked lanes and rough pavement surfaces, such as milled pavement, wreak havoc with the sensors and Autopilot returns to the better-adapted interface, the human sitting in the driver's seat. I don't think the AI in Tesla's Autopilot can match the NI (natural intelligence) of the experienced human driver. While your aged eyes may not be what they used to be, your brain has massive amounts of stored data it can instantly recall, and make up with experience, what your eyes may be lacking in a particular situation.

Humans can drive cars better than computers, it's just humans can easily degrade into lack of interest... As we falsely add safety systems to cars, the level of a false sense of security increases and the concern for self-responsibility decreases, which leaves the driver vulnerable when the tech fails him.
All true. In "normal" situations where you've only added darkness and maybe rain on a smeary windshield with glare from oncoming headlights, I'm still 100% sure the Tesla is better than me with my Lasik induced halos and all. But yeah, add in the real unknowns like a construction barricade haphazardly placed in the road and some debris blowing across your path while a drunk on a bicycle wobbles around in front of you. I can see how the X factors can easily pile up and cause the computer to give up. But these are all just data inputs and the reason it gives up is because it's not got the smarts yet to understand and deal with them. Not that there's too many and it's overwhelmed. That's where the computer will always beat the human; intaking and processing massive amounts of info. it's only a matter of time. Our days piloting a car better than a computer are numbered.

Remember all the dudes in the 80's when ABS came out who would puff up their chest and talk about how they could "feel" the pedal and the car better and stop faster than a car with ABS through their superior pedal modulation? Yeah, those dude all just mash the pedal to the floor and pray just like the rest of us when the sh*t hits the fan. Maybe an F1 driver can still actually brake faster through his superior skills, but for the rest of us, we just let the computer take over. Sure, we still get to decide WHEN to brake and the computer manages HOW to brake. But even the WHEN decision is starting to be encroached upon.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 03-17-2021 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0