ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphclark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Actually, it's worth test driving cars with, and without, before making that decision. Why? Because the ride/damping in a standard (non-EDC equipped) car is not the same as Comfort in a car fitted with EDC, which is slightly softer. BMW changed the springs/struts in EDC equipped X1s from Jan 2016 production, meaning EDC equipped cars are slightly more compliant in the Comfort setting than a standard car, which has spring/damping rates that compromise between Comfort and Sport.
That does seem to mean that you can't just have EDC retrofitted in the hope of improving the ride quality.

Unless the kit includes new struts and springs. In which case it wouldn't be a cheap upgrade.
There are alternative adjustable damping systems that can be fitted; some owners have done so, and you can probably read their experiences here. Probably (a LOT) cheaper than buying the OEM BMW parts as an after-thought! Any aftermarket solution will be substantially more expensive than ticking this option when you first order
Appreciate 0