02-06-2021, 12:25 AM   #57
Sonoran_X
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Filling in the hole won't do any good if the main part of the soil that is underneath of it is unstable and will slide away. That hole is huge. It'll take a ton of soil and you can't just pack it in normally. I do have a degree in Engineering but not civil/structural. So only making my own best guesses. They may be able to do something to repair that road which to me would most likely be a bridge. But again, the footers to support the bridge would have to be pretty deep and most likely would need to touch bedrock. I don't know the geological makeup of that hill as to how far down that would be. But with how deep and wide that hole is, I'd venture it's pretty far down.

The above is a discussion of if things remain static. You also have to consider how the bridge will hold up if/when another mud slide happens.
You evaluate soils via core samples and determine the lowest stable slab or layer then drill a prescribed amount below it for the piers. Once that's done, it's a relatively simple bridge. Doing that on a much smaller scale for a hillside property that has erosion/soil collapse.
Appreciate 0