View Single Post
      09-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #75
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

TDI Tuning –

• I wanted to report on some more testing that I had done with the new tune installed that I downloaded today.
• I travelled about 30 miles in all my testing of scenarios. More than yesterday.
• I did pay attention to the stock OBD II readout via OBDII dongle and using OBD Fusion on my IOS device.
• Mile two I had found a Shell Gas Station with 93 Octane. I filled up 70% of the tank with this.
• I didn’t switch as much between stock (tuner box off) and tuner box on. Just a little bit because it was evident that the tuning box was doing something better, not equal, and not worse – a little more, like yesterday.
• I mainly kept the tuner box on, and always set to mode 7.

Some verbal recording of notes that I took and transcribed here:
1. Off the line it feels strong. Not crazy like I would hope, but noticeable. In everyday traffic similar.
2. The tuning box maps and overall shift points are so much better than stock. So much more noticeable.
3. Everything is more smooth from what I observe.
4. It seems to pull pretty well. I would say out of a scale of 1-5, where 5 is where I desire, it’s a 2.
5. I am not sure if my testing ‘felt’ like more power than yesterday. I think I was able to concentrate more and this was day 2 with more experience.
6. The power seemed like it was more in everyday traffic like something was there but still nothing dramatic, like 2 out of 5.
7. The power on the highway seemed similar, very much like yesterday, 1 out of 5.
8. I did note that on the highway this time, there was no down stepping of RPMs in 500 RPM increments.
9. Something happens between 4000-5500RPM. Most noticeable on the highway, but also somewhat noticeable in everyday traffic. It seems and feels like a crossover point of sorts. Kind of feels like a Honda VTEC.
10. The last tune, yesterday, the OBDII was consistently showing a 20.6 max boost from what I remember. It is now showing 19.5-19.78 and goes up and down more.
11. Rarely, but sometimes at a non-reproducible moment I did see it spike to 21.8 and then settle back down. I did not see this yesterday, when I did turn on the software for just a little bit for curiosity sake.
12. Sometimes it shows 20.6, kind of like yesterday, but infrequently.
13. And stock readings today with the tuning box off was 22.6.

Comments:
1. I still definitely think there is room for improvement from me getting used to the system now.
2. I’d like my everyday driving experience with the tuning box go from a 2 out of 5 to at least a 4 or 5 out of 5. Highway, I would like 1 out of 5 to at least be 3 or 4 out of 5.
3. Generally speaking I definitely think now that I am running 93 and did some more metrics, I think this can be achieved.
4. Now I know we’re not supposed to compare what I see on the OBDII ECU readings, I have not received the Dragy, and it would cost me about $300 to put in a boost gauge off of the MAP sensor (I figured that all out).
5. But here are my thoughts:
6. Stock always consistently reads 22.6.
7. Yesterday the tune consistently read 20.6.
8. Today the tune is pretty consistent with 19.78.
9. I’m not sure how the voltages and mapping of your unit works to send these 20.6 and 19.78 readings to the ECU, but we do know for a fact that the ECU can read 22.6 without issue in stock form without failure.
10. I also don’t know what power is really being applied above stock. Without a boost gauge, it’s hard to tell. But it feels like 22 or 23 really close to stock but with a smoother map – that makes the difference.
11. 22.6 stock readings - 20.6 yesterday consistent and sometimes today readings = 2 PSI difference with the tuning box on 7
12. 22.6 stock readings -21.8 PSI (saw twice today) is .8 PSI (almost 1 PSI more) = 1 PSI difference with tuning box on 7
13. I truly wonder if you can increase the mapping to achieve a 2 PSI difference and increase to match stock readings of 22.6, which in theory is 22.6 PSI which equates to whatever you added on top of stock – hoping that this is closer to 25PSI-ish than 22.6.
14. I really don’t want to spend $300 for a boost gauge install of my own labor and parts if I don’t have to, on top of the $170 I spent on the Dragy to help in this testing.
15. Again, I know the OBDII values could be lower, but I’m not convinced with the numbers you advertise on your website.

Summary:
Maybe you can provide me another map?

Then I’ll do testing again and report back as well as re-do testing again with the Dragy.

Thanks for your support!
Appreciate 0