05-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #163
white2abbit
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
I find it quite funny when so many of you vow to move away from BMW just because you can't get the car with ED (maybe a re-alignement of priorities forced on by this very political virus is needed).
I'm honestly curious, what cars would you get to replace the 340/440, M2/3/4? And don't give me that BS about getting a Porsche. If you had the ability to get a Porsche, you already would have (I know I would have).
I seriously tried to answer that question recently, and guess what I found out? All other options out there, in the same price range, are garbage.
I don't think it's that simple.

I actually do own a Porsche, and will likely buy another one, but European Delivery in a 2-door GT car isn't nearly as practical as it is in an M car.

After my experience last summer, I was planning to ED a car every 1-3 years for the foreseeable future, just because of how amazing the experience was.

But I think the real competition here is the pre-owned market. Maybe I'm alone and most people need to buy something brand new, but 90% of the reason I went with the M2C was so could European Deliver it. I think the biggest competition to a new BMW is...a pre-owned BMW. If I can't pickup a car in Germany I'm much more likely to purchase an older (clean) BMW.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think a lot of enthusiasts think the same way. I'd definitely be more inclined to test drive other cars too (Mustang, etc.).

As I mentioned before though, I'll still love BMW (the brand) and BMWs (the cars), but my incentive for buying a brand new one is now non-existent, pretty much.

I've also rented cars in Europe many many times, but good luck finding a manual, and cars can cost almost $1/km while you're over there if you go over their usually very low mileage limits. Still a fun time, but it's not the same.
'20 BMW M2 Competition (6spd, Euro-delivered July '19)
Appreciate 2
Fugly M35299.00
bobert858.50