04-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #63
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
On this topic, the other vehicle my folks recently got was the new X5 M sport but with the 22 inch wheels. Tartufo individual interior with the glass pkg.

Much nicer place to spend time in than the Macan and even Cayenne; tech and ergonomics are first class. The 40i model is quick enough but won't thrill you. Where the X5 falls short is its driving dynamics. Great highway cruiser with more weighty steering at those high speeds. But I've found if you're going under 45-50mph you'll have almost zero confidence in how the car handles. The steering has zero road feel and even in Sport mode has no weight/resistance dialed in. I have a lot of difficulty keeping myself in my lane because of (a) disconnected steering and (b) the ever enlarging proportions of the X5.

So nice car overall but not engaging to drive besides at higher speeds. If you're cool with that the X5 is best in class and leases well.
I wonder if part of the issue with driving dynamics is the oversize wheels and tires on your folks car. I test drove one with 20 inch tires and had no issues with feel and holding a line. I admit it wasn't a sport feel but I didn't feel disconnected from the road entirely.
Appreciate 0