MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I agree

And, with a front heavy, FWD or FWD-biased AWD like the X1, the idea that more worn front tyres might be safer in, for example, wet conditions is nonsensical.
Wow, this gets interesting

According to some European tyre manufacturers* and a number of national safety agencies (like ADAC in Germany) in Europe. They now say it is proven , after extensive skid and other testing, that it is normally easier to stabilise loss of front tire grip than on rear. I accept this is a long-standing, regular and often debated topic so I went and re-read posted “key findings” of the detailed recent research Michelin, ADAC and others have done. They list the results for front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and all wheel drive in various conditions. Suggest you all check it out online. I provide one link, there are others

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-articl...r-test-results

Obviously the general advice is try keep good tyres all round and try never to loose grip but if you do, they say it is nearly always easier to stabilise the loss of grip on the front than the rear and for this reason they now say best tyres on the rear. This advice is now regularly repeated on European websites, for example the AA (automobile assoc in U.K.) and many tyre fitting companies say best tyres on rear. Some extend clarification by stating worn tyres puncture more easily and a slow puncture can be better handled on a front tyre than a rear tyre.
If best tyres should be on the rear, logic dictates, you have to stop rotating tyres because the fronts on nearly every type of car will wear more quickly than the rear. That is why a number of tire fitting companies in Europe also state it is no longer regarded as good practice to rotate tires. Although the U.K. tyre association still refers to the benefits of doing so.

* -> However (wtf), it would appear the USA Tire association and a number of other countries (yes including Australia), still recommend rotating tires. There is little or no reference to front versus rear stability, just reference to even tire wear. It would appear that it is not just bimmerpost members who disagree on this topic.

I used to rotate my tyres and understand why people do it. I stopped rotating them after I was told (by at least two national tyre fitting companies here in the UK) it was not good practice and the reasons why. Although I was still doubtful after initially being told about the “new thinking” I spent a good few hours over a number of days reading and researching. I always bought new tyres well before they reach 3/32” tread depth and always bought the best tyres I could afford for my car (grip and handling) regardless of price but now I don’t rotate them anymore. Confession, I am even in a minority in the U.K., I have a set of winter tyres.

I have posted this despite hating to challenge the valid opinion of someone else but I think there is a real safety issue here and am genuinely confused as to why such differing advice appears between USA, Oz and Europe or between tyre companies. Is europe leading the way on road safety? Are some associations just out to make cash by providing a rotating service? Does tyre rotation improve safety because you regular remove the tyres and can fully inspect them? Does keeping tyre wear evenly balanced across a car mean that if you lose grip it will be more serious compared to trying to maintain rear grip/stability? Any ideas?

Last edited by MJE60; 02-12-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0