View Single Post
      01-31-2018, 07:04 AM   #12
uday_r
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Comp | F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischiefbenz View Post
I personally moved from Calgary to Texas back in 2011. I've lived in Dallas, Houston and now Austin in the 7 years I've been in TX. I've owned 4 BMW's during this time (E90 335i, F30 335i, 2 F80's) all running summer tires year round. On average there has probably been one snow/sleet/ice day a year since I've moved down. On those days, I don't leave the house. You probably don't want to be out on the roads as they don't have the same equipment to treat the roads as your accustom to in NE. Local authorities typically advise against driving on these days. For example, we had a ice storm 2 weeks ago here in Austin and most of the city was paralyzed for a day and a half. Most businesses and offices close as the do not want their employees on the roads.

Texas can have some very large temperature swings in the winter. It can get below freezing over night, but warm back up to the 60's/70's during the day. You can probably count on one had the number of days this happens in a year though. I've had no issues driving on summer tires on these cool mornings. You just have to be cautious in the am as it will take a lot more time to build up heat in your summer tires and you'll have less grip until they are warm. I personally think that you'd destroy winter tires very quickly trying to run them in the winter and you'd hate how they handle when its warm. If you're really concerned about it, I'd switch to a good performance A/S tire setup year round (i.e. Michelin PS3 A/S, BFGoodrich Comp A2 A/S).

As for taxes, I believe NE charges taxes on the monthly payment for leases. In Texas, 6.25% in sales tax is due on the purchase price of the vehicle at inception. Most ppl choose to roll this into their monthly payment. Texas does have a clause that sales taxes is waived for ppl moving into the state as long as the owned the vehicle for 6 months prior to their move to the state. I think the charge a flat transfer fee of $70 when your register the vehicle in TX. So in short BMWFS will take the NE tax out of your monthly payment once you move and you shouldn't owe any additional taxes upon your move to TX.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your detailed response! I will have to drive down to Austin with winter tires on of course. I'll swap to summer once I get there and I'll think about selling the winter tires.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0