STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
True F10 weight vs True G30 weight.

Now that Car and Driver has done a full test of the new 540i in a comparison test, I went back and compared the weight of these cars since they're an apples to apples comparison.

2011 535i rear wheel drive with the dynamic handling package and 19" staggered rims/tires weighed: 4,090 lbs

2017 540i rear wheel drive with the dynamic handling package and 19" staggered rims/tires weighed:
4,071 lbs

Which means the new version of the same car weighs only 19 lbs less.

What happened to all of BMW's claims on weight reduction of over 100 lbs

This made me start to think of how truly of an ALL NEW platform does the G30 have over the F10? Both cars dimensions are almost identical. 0.2 inch difference in wheelbase is negligible. The difference in length can be attributed to bumper designs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostongio View Post
Yeah, I've noticed and have been annoyed by this as well. What's the point of developing an "all new" car if it weighs in at pretty much the same weight as the old version? (Seriously, 20 lbs is nothing to write home about -- it's a rounding error on a 2 ton vehicle.)

Even 100 lbs wasn't what was needed in terms of producing something approaching the "Ultimate Driving Machine."
do you guys seriously think companies start from scratch with each new model in their lineup? its called an evolution for a reason...
Appreciate 0