Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
I have a 2009 E90 and also was denied renewal of my BMW Assist plan. (In fact, they turned it off without telling me or sending me anything in the mail to tell me.)

So, I already lost Google Send-to-Car and BMW Assist.

Is the Navigation traffic info also being sent to the car via this method? Traffic info is still coming through to my iDrive navigation, although that was never part of the subscription service.

Will the traffic info stop being sent in 2017 when they completely turn off the Assist services? Or is the traffic info transmitted some other way?
There's two types of traffic info services for vehicles.

RTTI which is traffic information broadcast over the local FM radio stations (commonly called Traffic Message Channel in the US). This is free and available automatically on any vehicle equipped with option 6UH (which is most vehicles with navigation produced 03/2007 and up).

ARTTI is Advanced Real Time Traffic Information and is a data service provided by BMW Assist services for a subscription fee (actual data is provided by INRIX, which does some pretty cool things to provide real-time traffic information). It's more accurate than RTTI (as it fuses TMC data along with real-time data crowdsourced from other connected vehicles and devices) and is updated every 3 minutes by the vehicle. This is available only for 2013+ model years with NBT navigation systems.

You use RTTI in your vehicle which is transmitted via the FM channels and not via BMW Assist so it'll continue to function forever as long as your local FM radio stations continue to broadcast the data.
Appreciate 1