View Single Post
      04-28-2015, 02:48 AM   #16
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

OK, so I was so curious that I checked it carefully, and voila! - it turns out the driver seat's rails on the car's floor are not parallel to the car main axis. It's designed so that the seat is twisted slightly inwards - this way, the driver has the steering wheels more or less in front of him, and not to the right (if the seat was placed parallel to the car's axis, the steering wheel would be off-center and to the right). Since the other reference point is the dead pedal, they must have chosen a sort of compromise between the two - the result being that if you want your leg in a natural position while resting the foot on the dead pedal, your thigh "axis" is again not parallel to the bolster - resulting in resting on top of it slightly rather than next to it... All is clear now, but somehow I can't think high on BMW engineers!

And mind you - I'm not comparing the M235i driver's uncomfortable sitting position to the F10 I used to have, which was big enough for the seats to be wider, steering wheel on its center axis, and dead pedal where your left foot lands naturally. The car I'm comparing it to is my other small car - the Golf R, which has perfect seats and seating position... So if it's possible in the VW, why not in the BMW?
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 1