Thread: Wideangle
View Single Post
      09-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
flyingfortress
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

i just went through this whole thing on the same body and same subject matter (although dark photography is a big part of what i do)...

i ended up with a sigma 10-20mm. i know there are quality control issues with them, but i was able to try three and pick the best one. and it's sharp as i can image an wide gets - very comparable to the kit lens (18-55) in terms of sharpness/color.

my first choice after doing the research was the tokina 12-24mm but i wasn't able to try one first and wasn't comfortable ordering online without trying it.

i tried the 10-24mm nikon and wasn't impressed with the cost over the others. i thought it was worse than the sigma i ended up with in terms of sharpness.
the sigma 8-16 was very sharp and i liked it, i just didn't want to go with it since i do use the 20mm side of things.

apparently the tokina 11-16 is the end all be all right above the nikon 12-24, but it wont focus on our cameras automatically. a lot of people said that doesn't matter much with wide angles, but it still was an issue for me.

hope that helps? i know it doesn't. i read 20,000 reviews on each lens and was still completely lost. take your body to a camera shop with a card in it and try any lens you can, then go home and look at them on your computer. good luck!
Appreciate 0