BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW X1 (2017) Needs Questionable Repairs

07-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
vashstamp
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 2017

BMW X1 (2017) Needs Questionable Repairs

Hello!

I just got a call back from my local repair shop with some very disturbing/interesting repairs needed for my 2017 BMW X1. The car was bought used in 2019 with around 17k miles on it. It now has 40k miles.

1. Tires - The tires were replaced just in Feb 2020. I'm assuming when we bought the car it was still on factory tires but they were completely bald after only 25k miles. A set of 4 New Continental Pro Contact SSR were put on.

Fast forward to today July 21, only 17k miles have gone by and the front tires won't pass Maine State inspection and the rear tires are only 2 32nds away from also failing. They said we need 4 new tires AGAIN at $1300 total.

This car is a grocery getter, no spirted driving to be had. Why is the tire wear so bad already? Is this just the nature of the X1 or could the same repair place have screwed us some how on the tires?

2. Rough Idle on Start - The car has had really rough idle on starts and even stalls when backing up down hill. The same repair place read the codes and said that it needed a software update for "Idle Timing". They're charging $200 for the update. Assuming my repair shop isn't trying to scam us, how could a practically new car need such a software update already? Wouldn't something like this be covered under a manufactures warranty?

3. Spark plugs - Apparently they suggest new spark plugs?!?! Because it's a turbo charged engine. At 40k miles?!?! They want $300. This one seems bonkers as well.

4. Rear Passenger Tail Light Assembly - Water has gotten into the tail light assembly. Apparently the whole assembly needs to be replaced. The water I guess can't be drained and sealed back up. This is another thing that feels like a factory defect and possibly covered under warranty. The repair cost is $400.

Does all of this sound reasonable to folks? I've owned BMWs for 10years now and am familiar with cost expectations, but with this car still being so new the repairs seem completely insane!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

We owned a X1 for five years, and most of those are, IME, consistent with wear and tear. The car should have a four wheel alignment once a year and tyres need to be rotated at least every 10,000 miles.You'll probably find the rough idling is connected to the spark plugs; as a "grocery-getter" these are more likely to foul with lots of slow urban use. Can't comment on the rear tail light — perhaps it may have had a little knock that's caused a hairline crack or gasket breach.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Conti Pro SSR's are Horrible for tire wear. Never again.

I also have the rough idle on start issue on my 2017.

Software update price seems normal.
Spark plugs are way overpriced.
Rear tail light assembly cost is reasonable. These things are expensive. Though buying used from a wrecker and swapping yourself would be much more cost effective.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #4
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

my original 2017 tires are at 27K but I have to change them this year - no tear left.
front brake pads gone in 22K - which is very unusual

I never had rough idle, last year the trade in value was $18000 - this year it is increased to $25000! so I'm looking to buy a brand new vehicle.
Appreciate 0