BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) NAV Screen Brightness Issue

10-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

NAV Screen Brightness Issue

During the day the screen in my '17 X1 is usually very dim and difficult to see. I recently noticed that it brightens up noticeably when the driver side window is lowered The driver and passenger side windows are tinted - Not particularly dark @ 50% (no windshield tint). I'm thinking that maybe the tint isn't allowing enough light into the cabin There doesn't appear to be an adjustment for the screen brightness maybe only a sensor somewhere. Anyone had this issue or any advice short of removing the tint. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Bob in IL; 10-26-2017 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
AUS_Tin_Pusher
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i

I too have aftermarket tinting, and sometimes have noticed the same issue.

Driving away from home in the morning with the sun shining in from the side of the car the display is a little dim. However after a change of direction and the resulting sun direction change it automatically brightens to the normal daylight setting.

That does suggest there is an internal light sensor somewhere.

There is mention in the user manual re the display dimming if " ... the Control Display is exposed to very high temperatures, for example because of intensive sunshine ..." which might have something to do with it, although in my case it would only be due to the direct sunshine, as the vehicle is parked in shade and there is not enough time elapsed to cause a high temperature.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
soumyajit9
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 XDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
During the day the screen in my '17 X1 is usually very dim and difficult to see. I recently noticed that it brightens up noticeably when the driver side window is lowered The driver and passenger side windows are tinted - Not particularly dark @ 50% (no windshield tint). I'm thinking that maybe the tint isn't allowing enough light into the cabin There doesn't appear to be an adjustment for the screen brightness maybe only a sensor somewhere. Anyone had this issue or any advice short of removing the tint. Thanks in advance.
This is interesting. I believe the Auto-Dimming feature depends on the Headlight Auto On feature.
So if your headlight is on Auto mode and if it is a cloudy and dark day, when the Headlight comes on, your iDrive display will adjust itself accordingly. However it depends at what position your in the iDrive display night driving brightness was set to.
- If your display is set to low brightness, the computer will think it is night, switch on the headlight and dim the iDrive screen display.
- If your display is set to high brightness, the computer will think it is night, switch on the headlight, however your iDrive display brightness will not change.

It is all controlled by the light sensor on the centre of the dashboard, near the windscreen. I am pretty much sure your driver and passenger window tint isn't affecting the brightness of the iDrive screen.
Appreciate 0