BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) BMW X2 2018 review - Autocar

02-05-2018, 08:46 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

BMW X2 2018 review - Autocar

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
BMW X2 2018 review - Autocar

https://apple.news/AC7-9qatjTve9Con-KmlTug

What is it?
If you’re after evidence of real change at BMW as it works to regain sales momentum having lost the global premium-brand crown to Mercedes-Benz, look no further than the X2.

The new compact crossover ditches convention and receives bold new styling treatment unlike any other model in the BMW range, as well as a distinctly youth-orientated marketing campaign to support it in a move that, the German car maker hopes, will win potential new customers – and that all-important crown once again.

Not that BMW thinks its grab for sales with the more sporting sibling to the X1 in one of Europe’s fastest-growing market segments will be easy, mind you. The X2 enters a premium crossover class brimming with impressive contenders, including the Audi Q3, Jaguar E-Pace and Mercedes-Benz GLA. Success is far from assured, although our first drive of the new model suggests it should find favour with buyers seeking an alternative to your typical hot hatchback.

The new X2 has defining styling elements that include a fresh interpretation of BMW’s signature kidney grille. It also receives a short bonnet that allows the base of the windscreen to sit well forward for added interior space, familiar taut surfacing along the flanks and squared-off wheel arches front and rear. Other features include a glasshouse that is shallow by the standards of other SUVs, a BMW roundel embedded within the C-pillar (recalling a detail from earlier BMW coupés) and a heavily angled tailgate.

At launch, BMW will offer the X2 with just two conventional combustion engines: a 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol unit with 189bhp in the front-wheel-drive sDrive20i and a 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel that delivers 187bhp in the xDrive20d and 228bhp in the xDrive25d. Other powerplants, including smaller three-cylinder petrol and diesel units, will be offered later this year, largely aligning the engine line-up with that of the X1.

What's it like?
At 4360mm long, 1821mm wide and 1526mm tall, the X2 is the same width but 49mm shorter and 69mm lower than the current X1. Both cars have a 2670mm wheelbase.

Inside, there’s a decent amount of room and an excellent driving position. Despite retaining the same ride height, the front seats of the X2 are mounted 20mm lower than in the X1, giving the new BMW a more sporting feel. Adjustment for the standard multi-function steering wheel and driver’s seat is quite generous, although tall rear passengers will find the rather flat and high-set rear seat contributes to a shortage of head room.

Luggage capacity is 470 litres, giving the X2 one of the biggest boots in its class. It’s 10 litres larger than the Q3’s and 49 bigger than the GLA’s but 10 smaller than the E-Pace’s. The loading space can be extended to 1355 litres when the standard 40/20/40-configured split folding rear seat is laid down and a broad aperture means access to the boot is excellent.

Cabin quality isn’t a game changer by any stretch of the imagination, but the soft-touch plastic fascia and shiny plastic trim elements do manage to give the cabin a classy feel, even if it is devoid of digital instruments, even as an option.

The ergonomics are also first rate. Most of the major controls are within easy reach and the infotainment system can be controlled via a touch function within the display, a rotary wheel between the front seats and, as an option, speech recognition. With the X2’s upward sweep to its rear shoulder line and prominent pillars, though, over-the-shoulder visibility is quite poor. This is exacerbated by the shallow rear window, which also hinders your view out of the back.

Our test car was an xDrive20d Active – the only model BMW brought to the launch in Portugal. Along with 187bhp, it also boasts a solid 295lb ft, making it a direct competitor to the Q3 2.0 TDI quattro, E-Pace 2.0d 4WD and GLA220 4Matic. There are three driving modes – Comfort, Sport and Eco-Pro – as well as fuel-saving functions that help provide it with a claimed 61.4mpg on the combined cycle, with a CO2 output of 121g/km.

It also receives a multi-plate-clutch four-wheel-drive system capable of apportioning up to 100% of the engine’s reserves to either the front or rear wheels depending on prevailing grip and traction. As on the X1 xDrive20d, there’s also an electronic differential and BMW’s so-called Performance Control system, which provides torque vectoring to alternate the amount of drive delivered to each individual rear wheel.

Making it more enjoyable are the deft qualities of the standard eight-speed automatic gearbox to which the four-cylinder unit is mated in the X2 xDrive20d. It is quick to choose the right ratio for any given situation and shifts with a wonderfully smooth action, allowing the abundant torque to shrug off the new BMW’s 1600kg kerb weight and keep acceleration strong.

Quick rather than rapid, this X2 has a claimed 0-62mph time of 7.7sec. For comparison, the 182bhp 2.0-litre Q3 2.0 TDI requires 7.9sec and the 176bhp 2.2-litre GLA220d takes an identical 7.7sec. This, allied to a chassis tuned to feel more engaging than it does in the X1, means there is a lot to like about the X2’s dynamic qualities.

At the root of its on-road appeal is its steering. Although rather weighty and variable in the amount of assistance it offers, it is very direct around centre and, for an electric set-up, offers plenty of feel when lock is applied. This imbues it with precise and enthusiastic properties, whether tooling around town or running at speed. There’s also an imbibing smoothness to the Servotronic speed-sensitive system, standard in the X2 xDrive20d, which is largely devoid of any nasty kickback or road shock, even on badly pitted sections of bitumen.

Body control is also very good and feels more in line with a well-sorted hatch than a high-riding crossover. There’s moderate lean in corners but also a real progressiveness to any movement, which allows you to thread the X2 down winding roads with terrific confidence and, in the right conditions, a good deal of pace in search of the limits of adhesion.

An accurate feel to the brake pedal, crisp action of the gearbox on downshifts, sharp turn-in qualities and surplus of grip ensure the X2 is always accommodating on the entry to a corner. The inherent traction of the four-wheel drive system and Dynamic Performance control also provide this model with compelling drive and surefootedness on the exit.With the dynamic damper control system that comes as standard on the X2 xDrive20d, it also possesses impressive damping qualities. As with the X1, there’s an underlying firmness to its suspension (MacPherson struts up front and multi-link rear). But there is also sufficient compliance and control on rebound to ensure the X2 remains nicely settled over smaller, high-frequency bumps. Bigger lumps can sometimes catch it out, although it is never harsh riding.

Should I buy one?
A major positive for the X2 is its overall calmness. Engine noise is well isolated from the cabin, rolling refinement is excellent, with little road roar or vibration through the chassis, and there’s a distinct lack of wind buffeting at higher speeds compared with the high-riding competition. All this, and impressive straight-line stability at cruising speeds, makes it a decent long-distance proposition.

The continued diversification of the compact car segment is such that the idea of a crossover now holds as much appeal as a traditional hatchback, at least if the latest sales results are any indication. If the Q3, E-Pace and GLA don’t appeal to you, the new X2 might just be the answer.

It’s not perfect, but in top-of-the-line xDrive20d guise, the new BMW makes a very convincing case for itself, especially to those who cherish their driving. However, we suspect the sweet spot in the range in terms of overall value for money might come lower down the line-up.

BMW X2 xDrive20d Active

Where Portugal On sale March 2018 Price £33,980 Engine 4cyls, 1995cc, diesel Power 187bhp at 4000rpm Torque 295lb ft at 1750rpm Gearbox 8-spd automatic Kerb weight 1600kg Top speed 137mph 0-62mph 7.7sec Fuel economy 61.4mpg CO2 121g/km Rivals Audi Q3, Jaguar E-Pace, Mercedes-Benz GLA
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:47 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Thanks for posting! Fairly good review - especially for a low-performance version.

I will be waiting for a testdrive of my own and then the upcoming X2M35i.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
Thanks for posting! Fairly good review - especially for a low-performance version.

I will be waiting for a testdrive of my own and then the upcoming X2M35i.
Is this model confirmed?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Personally don't like it, looks like a BMW crossed with an old XC60
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

No digital dashboard ? Falling behind Audi and others
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
No digital dashboard ? Falling behind Audi and others
I know it's a bit of a lame duck, but you can't get Virtual Cockpit on the current Q3. Pretty sure MB hasn't slapped their huge rectangle of no design on the GLA either.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
emulajavi
First Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW F56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
their huge rectangle of no design on the GLA either.
Couldn’t have been described better! Lazy design MB
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulajavi View Post
Quote:
their huge rectangle of no design on the GLA either.
Couldn’t have been described better! Lazy design MB
Yeah, that engineer came to work, took two display panels, sticky taped them to the dash and went straight to the bar. Absolutely no design or f's were given. This is gonna look awful in five years (if it doesn't already.)
[IMG]http://hanabi.autoweek.com/sites/def...?itok=y69pZ3D9[/IMG]

Audi gets it right though, but I'd bet these displays cost about as much as BMW has in an entire X2.
[IMG]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chor...839_0015.0.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 2
DeeKay553.00
emulajavi421.50
      02-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #9
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

I'm not a massive fan to be honest. Love the look of the current X1, but this isn't good.

Would like to see it without the dual tone colour scheme - dark preferably - might help the looks a lot
      02-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #10
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Definitely looks a lot like the GLA w/ BMW badging
      02-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
Zayken
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: IX1 30e / f40 118i

Quote:
I know it's a bit of a lame duck, but you can't get Virtual Cockpit on the current Q3. Pretty sure MB hasn't slapped their huge rectangle of no design on the GLA either.

I dont mean to be rude or smart@ss

Audi Q3 was launched at 2011. 7 years ago. Makes sense that it hasnt digital cockpit.

We are talking ab a model that will be launched in 1 month . it is dissapointing.

Have you seen the all new A class ??? its full digital like an S class....

Im not wasting my money on any old BMW F platform..

By the way show the car in person

Its clestophobic inside. Outside with M pack on this blue color, looking just Ok.

X1 looks better!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
distinctly youth-orientated marketing
So....it's a fidget spinner?
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      02-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #13
Roland the HTG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Hate the gear shifter!
2011 328xi 6MT (Kids)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayken View Post
Quote:

Audi Q3 was launched at 2011. 7 years ago. Makes sense that it hasnt digital cockpit.

We are talking ab a model that will be launched in 1 month . it is dissapointing.

Its clestophobic inside. Outside with M pack on this blue color, looking just Ok.

X1 looks better!
But it's still only available on the highest trim levels of the A4 and Q5, so will likely be the same on the new Q3. This is also the base motor for the X1 and X2, no reason to think BMW won't offer a TFT on the 35i version or worst case, an LCI. VW just LCIed the (not quite) VC on the Golf R, no reason BMW can't add it on mid stream.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zayken View Post
Quote:

X1 looks better!
At the same time, I suppose more and more are making it available. XC40.
[IMG]https://vmcdn.ca/f/files/shared/feed...bgcolor=000000[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #16
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Saw one today in person....not bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #17
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
At the same time, I suppose more and more are making it available. XC40.
[IMG]https://vmcdn.ca/f/files/shared/feed...bgcolor=000000[/IMG]
Oh my, that one is just terrible.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Noting is as bad as MB's Kindle Fire dash. The Volvo just has the brightness turned up, probably looks fine if it's turned to a normal level. Fine for digital, fake gauges, that is.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      02-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #19
srswans
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Manual BG

Offset Steering Wheel

I sat in one at the DC auto show last month. The steering wheel is offset just like the 2-series convertible I had as a loaner. Other than that, I like it. It's the only BMW four-door that fits in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_linus View Post
300 HP from a 4 cylinder motor in the 35i version.. Anyone knows if this is first from BMW ?
1,400hp many years ago.
[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ne_M12_M13.JPG[/IMG]
Appreciate 0