BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Does anyone know if paint touch ups are possible? Saw a chip on the back of my X1

06-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
willbmwuk
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive 18d M SPORT

Does anyone know if paint touch ups are possible? Saw a chip on the back of my X1

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi Guys

I recently found this chip on the boot/trunk of my X1 M Sport that has the default white paint.

Bit worried about the dealer trying to knock £££ off the trade in value when I upgrade cars in the future.

I have no experience of repairing this type of thing, is there a diy home fix for this sort of thing? Anything I could buy or does it need to go to a professional?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

You can buy DIY touch up pens from BMW directly (or from eBay for ~£15). There are also touch up "kits" available for a little bit more that include microfibre cloth, sanding paper, etc. All-in-one pack, basically. THIS GUY has a whole bunch of awesome tutorials on his YT channel that teaches you how to do it.

... OR get a quote from your BMW garage. I had a "Smart Repair" done by BMW Vines in Guildford and you can't tell the difference. £180 (inc. VAT) to repair a 1~2 inch long peeled off paint and scratches and scuffs on the front bumper. They also threw in a Nissan Micra rental for a day to sweeten the deal!! Driving that thing is quite an adventure!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
I recommend you talk to some professional detailers to see what they can do. That's a pretty large chip to fix using touch-up paint, especially if you've never done it before.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
Eziv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20d M Sport

In addition to the above, my experience shows that the touch-up “mineral white” paint differs significantly from the colour of my car. The touch-up version is more like alpine white; half a year later it still hasn’t blended in. And yes, I am sure I have the right touch-up colour — says clearly mineral white and was ordered by a dealer using VIN code of my car.

Saphire black is a different story, but I should also warn that the texture of any touch up paint is different.
Appreciate 0