BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Secure Vehicle Against Rolling Error

06-08-2022, 11:10 AM   #23
Reefy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i BMW, 2017 X1 BMW 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
C'mon man! You did a lot of things on your X1 and you won't do this? Go for it! You can do it!
Yeaaah your right buddy. I can do it myself

Thinking about putting this too. https://bavarian-automotive.co.uk/pr...rplay-retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 12:35 PM   #24
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefy View Post
Yeaaah your right buddy. I can do it myself

Thinking about putting this too. https://bavarian-automotive.co.uk/pr...rplay-retrofit
DO IT. It's a life-changer, haha.

I first installed an MMI box with a reverse camera just like that (from CarlinKit), using the OE 6.5" screen. But recently, I installed a bigger 10.25" android touch screen, and it's much better. It also looks OEM.

I bought this one https://www.amazon.com/-/en/dp/B08ZSQGX4Y/, following a recommendation from a user (see thread https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1868492&page=2).

Perhaps the unit could be more powerful, but it's good enough. Wireless Carplay works really well.
Attached Images

07-13-2022, 04:24 AM   #25
Bavarian03
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinco000 View Post
Sorry to hear that you are having many issues with your car bud.
A goodwill request is basically an email that you need to send to the headquarters.
You need to describe the problems you are having and state that these faults are design faults appearing on every X1 and should be fixed by a recall for free rather than you facing a massive bill for repair.
You need to go down hard on them but sound professional at the same time.
To be honest, the best outcome will be they will reduce your bill from the cost of labour or the part itself. Or give you discount on overall costs of the repair.
It all depends on the country.
From reading free of charge will be only if you have extended warranty.
There is somewhere on the web a blank copy of this email, where you can just fill in your details.

Best of luck bud and if you are in the UK, drop me a PM, I can certainly fix the rolling error. I have fixed a few by now.
I have the same problem (early 2016 F48) for a few months now. The gear lever works fine (does not come off position) so I erased the warning with BimmerLink - it came back again though.

After reading about it here, I asked the main BMW dealer near me (Greater Manchester area, UK) and they said they never heard of this issue and they certainly didn't comment on the warning appearing when I took the car there for a brake pad service last month.

I am willing to try and fix this myself (encouraged by the posts here) but would like to know if it is worth replacing the spring (with what other spring?) or is it sufficient to just unwind the existing spring a little as suggested by most?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 05:26 AM   #26
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian03 View Post
I have the same problem (early 2016 F48) for a few months now. The gear lever works fine (does not come off position) so I erased the warning with BimmerLink - it came back again though.

After reading about it here, I asked the main BMW dealer near me (Greater Manchester area, UK) and they said they never heard of this issue and they certainly didn't comment on the warning appearing when I took the car there for a brake pad service last month.

I am willing to try and fix this myself (encouraged by the posts here) but would like to know if it is worth replacing the spring (with what other spring?) or is it sufficient to just unwind the existing spring a little as suggested by most?

Many thanks!
Hi mate,
what liars the dealership!!! They knkw VERY well!!
Anyway, hm, I have fixed about 10 cars by now and everytime I unwinded the spring by one turn.
No issues at all after putting it back. No errors, nothing to clear.
From the various mileages I ha e seen on these cars, it seems the spring breaks over a time period whether used or not. The car turning up very mostly around 16 plates and the mileages ranged from as low as 20k!! to about 65k.
Good luck with the repair and just takes pictures when dismantling, especially the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 07:03 AM   #27
Bavarian03
United Kingdom
Rep

Fantastic - many thanks for the advice! Interesting observation about the age of the cars (points to a manufacturing/part issue rather than wear/tear through use). Mine is also around what you describe - 2016 registration (end of 56 plates) and had around 45k on the clock when the warning first appeared.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 09:27 AM   #28
Riverlade994
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstern View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marticztn View Post
Yup, same issue here as well. I went to the dealer and they are charging me for $2065 for a gear selector replacement (the whole thing)....I ended up gave up and I think imma leave it as it is for now, since it doesn't really affect the drivability.
Hey! Just letting you know I brought it into the dealer to diagnose. They found the same thing and quoted me 3050 to fix it. I asked if they would submit a goodwill request to BMWNA to have it covered and they did. I just heard back this morning, car is all fixed and BMWNA covered all but $150. Definitely worth checking out this option if you haven’t already!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstern View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marticztn View Post
Yup, same issue here as well. I went to the dealer and they are charging me for $2065 for a gear selector replacement (the whole thing)....I ended up gave up and I think imma leave it as it is for now, since it doesn't really affect the drivability.
Hey! Just letting you know I brought it into the dealer to diagnose. They found the same thing and quoted me 3050 to fix it. I asked if they would submit a goodwill request to BMWNA to have it covered and they did. I just heard back this morning, car is all fixed and BMWNA covered all but $150. Definitely worth checking out this option if you haven't already!
Where are you located
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 11:22 AM   #29
Bethany
Registered
Rep

Secure vehicle against rolling error

1st time poster. I am also getting this error message for my 2017 BMW X1 with 62K miles. What is the error code for this malfunction so I can avoid paying the diagnostic fee and just determine if it is covered under the 7yr/70K warranty. Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 02:01 PM   #30
BlueMeetsWhite
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

I've done over 70 of these repairs now. Yep, have nightmares about them

Based in Midlands UK and if you google "Secure Vehicle Against Rolling" or my user name with spaces in, you'll find me.

I always change the spring (I've had units in which have the unwound spring which have failed). Takes about 2-2.5 hours depending on the vehicle and there is a Costa and Wetherspoons up the road for you to relax in whilst I do the hard work. All with a 12-month warranty and you can pay cash, card, bank transfer. I've even dealt with warranty companies - just hope I can save some more people paying the extortionate prices asked for by dealers.

In my experience the dealers don't want the cars in the workshops. They can do 4 services in the time it takes to replace the gearshift and the techs just don't want to do jobs like this. Simple as that. My customers have been quoted anything from £1100 to £2500 and people have travelled from as far as Kent to take advantage of the repair service.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 11:22 AM   #31
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

guys, if you are in the UK, I can do fix it for you. PM me if interested
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 02:38 AM   #32
asarikwal@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Hey

How do I contact you? Same issue with my X1 since yesterday.

Last edited by asarikwal@gmail.com; 09-07-2022 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: more info added
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 04:54 PM   #33
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarikwal@gmail.com View Post
Hey

How do I contact you? Same issue with my X1 since yesterday.
I emailed you
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 05:42 PM   #34
DevilzGtr
Rep

Does this issue happen with manual or auto transmission?
I've just purchased a 67 plate manual with 31k miles on the clock, should I be worried?

Last edited by DevilzGtr; 12-11-2022 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Add info
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 08:50 PM   #35
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzGtr View Post
Does this issue happen with manual or auto transmission?
I've just purchased a 67 plate with 31k miles on the clock, should I be worried?
auto - and no reason to be worried. it doesn’t happen to every one. i’m about hit 50k on my 2016 and no issues thus far. If it does happen, it’s a diy project and just a few hours outta your time.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 05:53 AM   #36
Logical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Just started encountering this error on the wifes X1. Unbelievable that a cheap spring can cause this problem. Great thread. Thanks for sharing the video.
2015 F86 X6 M (Retired)
2014 F10 M5 (Retired)
2010 E70 X5 M (Retired), 2010 E92 M3 MT (Retired)
2006 E60 M5 (Retired), 2000 E39 M5 MT (Retired)
1999 E39 328i (Retired), 1995 525i (Retired)
1987 325i (Totaled - that was fun!)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 03:57 AM   #37
j8oyj
Registered
Australia
Rep

Mini & BMW Spring replacement service

Check out - www.bmsense.com.au if you are based in Sydney, Australia and experiencing the secure vehicle against rolling warning message.

Last edited by j8oyj; 03-09-2024 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: Update url
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 11:43 AM   #38
BlueMeetsWhite
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Been a while since my original post, and done many of these since.

Based in UK, WS9 (Aldridge, West Midlands) www.securevehicleagainstrolling.com

Just back from Portugal where I helped Chris. a MINI F56 owner. Take a look at the video review at
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 12:43 PM   #39
calipickleball
Registered
Rep

Same Issue at 44K

I just reported to transportation agency. What a scam. Why is turning on on all the X1s at close to 44K? Question: Is it dangerous not to get it fixed? I can't afford what you guys are quoting a service center will charge. Hoping to get a recall going before I spend this much $. Thx
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 06:46 AM   #40
Jay16
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 2.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMeetsWhite View Post
I've done over 70 of these repairs now. Yep, have nightmares about them

Based in Midlands UK and if you google "Secure Vehicle Against Rolling" or my user name with spaces in, you'll find me.

I always change the spring (I've had units in which have the unwound spring which have failed). Takes about 2-2.5 hours depending on the vehicle and there is a Costa and Wetherspoons up the road for you to relax in whilst I do the hard work. All with a 12-month warranty and you can pay cash, card, bank transfer. I've even dealt with warranty companies - just hope I can save some more people paying the extortionate prices asked for by dealers.

In my experience the dealers don't want the cars in the workshops. They can do 4 services in the time it takes to replace the gearshift and the techs just don't want to do jobs like this. Simple as that. My customers have been quoted anything from £1100 to £2500 and people have travelled from as far as Kent to take advantage of the repair service.
I’m having this same problem.
How can I contact you to get it done?
Or is it worth just going main dealer as I have warranty.
Even though I’m quite impatient haha
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 01:29 PM   #41
Icycharizard
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay16 View Post
I’m having this same problem.
How can I contact you to get it done?
Or is it worth just going main dealer as I have warranty.
Even though I’m quite impatient haha
Heyyyyy don’t sweat it. I just did this job in Jan on my F48. It only took me 3.5 hours start to finish. It really wasn’t that bad. You just need a dry space to complete the work, clean hands and nitrile gloves, and just be very careful to not drop screws in bad places and to not break any clips. It really isn’t that bad. You just have to be diligent and gentle. The only part you should really be forceful with is the air tunnel part under the throttle and when you pull up on the shifter knob, it does take a little bit of force, but pull straight up. Gentle at first and apply more upward force if needed. It should pop right off.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 08:34 AM   #42
46-90-48
Rep
Drives: X1

Just replaced spring a month ago, - takes time but nothing difficult. One important thing to keep in mind , - there's NO NEED to remove shifter knob, - just leave it on! It actually helps to shift selector into proper position getting plastic pin removed, one of the last steps getting the selector out. Why? - the pin gets accessible somewhere half-way between Reverse and Neutral.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 06:59 AM   #43
Mattadore
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 xdrive M-sport

Wow. Insane job for such a poor design. Great work. It is amazing to me dealer techs could be so ignorant to the problem, as others have been quoted unnecessary, expensive work. Ignorance or thievery?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 05:44 AM   #44
Mosaprza
Registered
Serbia
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 f48 xdrive

dangerous rolling of the BMW....

Hard work and a lot of time, but if you are meticulous and patient with the help of advice and videos from these good people, you can solve the problem yourself and prevent the huge costs that authorized dealers and services are preparing for you...
Thank you all for the advice, you have helped me a lot and I succeeded and finished the job in 4 hours.
Appreciate 1