X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Winter Driving

11-14-2023, 01:22 AM   #1
BmwX2m35i
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw x2 m35i

Winter Driving

I have 2019 X2 m35i and wonder what people recommend for snow chains? Tires are 225/45r19. I tested Peerless Auto-Trac link chains and they seem to fit well. I also tested Z-Chain Extreme Performance (diagonal cable) and they didn't fit as well. Are others using cable or link chains? Also, the m35i is AWD front biased so should I have chains on the front only or is chains on all 4 tires better?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091RCINU...t_details&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OAVLJ0...t_details&th=1
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 07:34 PM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Where do you plan on driving that you will need chains?
I'm in Ohio and my all season performance tires (Michelin pilot 4s) are meh so I got a dedicated set of snow tires and wheels.

I will eventually switch to all weather tires whenever these wear out.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 01:32 AM   #3
BmwX2m35i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Where do you plan on driving that you will need chains?
I'm in Ohio and my all season performance tires (Michelin pilot 4s) are meh so I got a dedicated set of snow tires and wheels.

I will eventually switch to all weather tires whenever these wear out.
In California driving up to the Tahoe area for ski season. Doesn't make sense for me to get dedicated snow tires since it doesn't snow where I live. But going up to Tahoe I'll sometimes run into packed snow or ice in more harsh conditions/at night (speaking from past experiences in a FWD sedan w/ basic cable ladder chains). I currently have the stock ProContact TX SSR all season on the m35i.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 10:04 AM   #4
sfpablo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 Rivian R1S, 2021 x2 m35i

Just picked up my ‘21 m35i with 20s yesterday and as soon as it snows I’m going to be making the Tahoe drive every weekend. I bought autosocks for my traction devices. They’re light and clean to keep in the trunk and get decent reviews.

Would be interested in hearing how your setup works this winter as we have the same use case!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:55 AM   #5
BmwX2m35i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpablo View Post
Just picked up my ‘21 m35i with 20s yesterday and as soon as it snows I’m going to be making the Tahoe drive every weekend. I bought autosocks for my traction devices. They’re light and clean to keep in the trunk and get decent reviews.

Would be interested in hearing how your setup works this winter as we have the same use case!
I recently drove up to Tahoe Jan 5-7. Drove around in white out conditions and the X2 m35i handled it like a champ. I had the original tires (Continental ProContact TX) that are all season M+S and didn't notice any slipping unless I turned of traction control and tried to break traction. The day after the snow storm I drove home having to go through chain control area, but thanks to the AWD and M+S tires I did not need to use chains. I ended up buying the Auto-trac tire chains rather than the Z-chains. Also, turns out ladder chains are not allowed through traction control because they don't work well enough, but I think either of the chains in the original post would work because they aren't ladder chains.
Appreciate 0