BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Still want an EV?

01-17-2024, 04:31 AM   #5985
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Copy of post
Electric Vehicle Grid Impact Analysis and Smart-Charge Management
Integrated EV smart charging can improve grid reliability by more effectively utilizing renewable energy, shaving peak electricity demand, and supporting and maintaining power quality while still meeting the needs of EV drivers.
Equitable Electric Vehicle Adoption
Using tools, such as the EV Infrastructure for Equity Model, helps develop smart-charge management algorithms that support more equitable and just EV adoption and infrastructure deployment.
https://www.nrel.gov/transportation/...-charging.html

Cold snap, high electric needs EV charging shut off.
I can't break it down any simpler but you folks have spent $50,000.00 plus to let the same folks that forced you to take a unproven medication to keep your job to control who, where, when and if you can drive your car. If you do your homework you will find that your home charger is likely to be included in the "Managed Electric Vehicle Charging"
Appreciate 3
      01-17-2024, 06:24 AM   #5986
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

^ It's amazing how some can be convinced after a few minutes to go for EV's without even taking into account all the factors, I can only think of it as a slowly unfolding catastrophe whatever the weather.
Appreciate 4
      01-17-2024, 06:33 AM   #5987
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Better not own a diesel truck either... negative double digits is gelled diesel fuel. Had to give an industry acquaintance a ride back from a ski resort because his truck gelled up in the parking lot on a really cold day last season...
Google "Power Service Diesel Fuel Suppliment".

Works wonders in my tractor, with which I use to clear snow from around my property.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-17-2024 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2024, 06:37 AM   #5988
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Copy of post
Integrated EV smart charging can improve grid reliability by more effectively utilizing renewable energy, shaving peak electricity demand, and supporting and maintaining power quality while still meeting the needs of EV drivers.
Using tools, such as the EV Infrastructure for Equity Model, helps develop smart-charge management algorithms that support more equitable and just EV adoption and infrastructure deployment.

I can't break it down any simpler but you folks have spent $50,000.00 plus to let the same folks that forced you to take a unproven medication to keep your job to control who, where, when and if you can drive your car. If you do your homework you will find that your home charger is likely to be included in the "Managed Electric Vehicle Charging"
Lol

Mr. Science testified last week that they made it all up.
Attached Images

01-17-2024, 06:37 AM   #5989
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Copy of post

I can see EV'ers buying diesel generators to charge their cars off grid. Only to forget to put Power Service Diesel Fuel Suppliment in the generator fuel tank.
Appreciate 5
      01-17-2024, 06:41 AM   #5990
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Lol

Mr. Science testified last week that they made it all up.
Do you get a fine if your blanket is outside of the circle?
Appreciate 5
      01-17-2024, 08:59 AM   #5991
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Intersting. From this video it looks like the Cybertruck loses 1/2 its range towing. The other interesting take away is charging with a trailer. Most charging stations aren't equipped for drive alongside like a gas pump so you'll likely have to disconnect form your trailer to charge.

https://electrek.co/2024/01/16/tesla...to-hj9XA6FgJac

Appreciate 4
crAbb1243.00
eugenebmw1576.00
KRS_SN13714.50
      01-17-2024, 10:35 AM   #5992
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

I mean... some people's towing needs are pretty minor. Not everyone's, but some.

Friends of mine have an F250 that they use to tow their boat from their house to the dock twice a year (they only use it locally), and occasionally pick up some mulch with a trailer from the landscape place a few miles away. A cybertruck would work just fine for that purpose, who cares if it cuts the range in half?

Anyone buying a cybertruck (at all, let alone) for long distance hauling has some screws loose...
Appreciate 1
gblansten2100.00
      01-17-2024, 12:42 PM   #5993
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
No response from Tesla when ppl were calling in and W TF is this pre condition the battery before charging, waiting for that you can freeze. In a gas car it's start and go.
I suspect the journo at the end is a greenie that was told what to say, saying that the problem is more attributed to the charge infrastructure than the 'robot' itself.
If I am the person on the Tesla side to handle all the complain calls. I won't pick up the phone too. What can I tell them beside go and fucx yourself ;you are on your own; good luck.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61366.00
KRS_SN13714.50
      01-17-2024, 12:49 PM   #5994
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Copy of post

Not only in freezing climate. Heat waves are happening in many countries in the summer months too. When everyone turn on the A/C in their places, it will overload the power grid. Good luck to walk instead of driving in 40C heat.
Appreciate 4
      01-17-2024, 12:54 PM   #5995
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
"BMW Charge Forward program". Every EV company has one of these charge control programs and EV folks seem incapable to understand that the utilities have the ability to throttle or stop EV Chargers dependent on the available power in the grid. The "problem is more attributed to the charge infrastructure" is correct. Tesla is getting a bad rap on this, blame ComEd not Tesla or maybe blame yourself for not understanding "Managed electric vehicle (EV) charging"

On a side note how many EV owners were up in arms during the arguments over "Net Neutrality" allowing internet providers to throttle their internet access.
Appreciate 4
eugenebmw1576.00
M5Rick61366.00
      01-17-2024, 01:02 PM   #5996
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

People start waking up. I guess some must have learned the very expensive lessons.
https://biv.com/article/2024/01/publ...-polling-finds

Last edited by eugenebmw; 01-17-2024 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 3
      01-17-2024, 02:28 PM   #5997
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
"BMW Charge Forward program". Every EV company has one of these charge control programs and EV folks seem incapable to understand that the utilities have the ability to throttle or stop EV Chargers dependent on the available power in the grid. The "problem is more attributed to the charge infrastructure" is correct. Tesla is getting a bad rap on this, blame ComEd not Tesla or maybe blame yourself for not understanding "Managed electric vehicle (EV) charging"

On a side note how many EV owners were up in arms during the arguments over "Net Neutrality" allowing internet providers to throttle their internet access.
Only a concern to someone who hasn't experienced EV's.

One, they're opt-in programs. Two, they have overrides for the times you absolutely need to charge right now. Third, with an EV, you almost never drive the thing down to nothing. I have never seen single digit %'s on my car. I charge any time the battery gets below 30%. It just requires a little planning and forethought but hey, I never have to stop at a gas station. And if some surprise comes up, I just take one of my other two ICE vehicles... It's really nice living in the middle and not forcing myself to either end of the extremes...
Appreciate 1
gblansten2100.00
      01-17-2024, 02:37 PM   #5998
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accentu8 View Post
I didn’t think I did, but drove the Taycan…it blew my mind so I got it a few days ago

Dealer pics, as it’s been freezing here since the day I picked it up…
It will be interesting how the EV Cayman/Boxster turn out.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 02:43 PM   #5999
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
If I am the person on the Tesla side to handle all the complain calls. I won't pick up the phone too. What can I tell them beside go and fucx yourself ;you are on your own; good luck.
Put them on hold then... 'please leave your name and number and we'll get back to you'
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2024, 03:18 PM   #6000
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
You don't have a clue on what "Managed electric vehicle (EV) charging" is do you?
Here is an official government source so that should work for you.

https://www.energy.gov/femp/managed-...hicle-charging

Management of increased demand for electricity without the need for additional investment in traditional power grid infrastructure is known as "non-wire" solutions.
Charging Load Estimation
Estimation of regional charging loads distributes charging more evenly across the grid, thereby reducing peak generation needs, and ensuring safe and reliable charging for all.
Control Adjustment
Adjustment of controls maintains grid reliability during extreme weather events.
I especially like the "equitable and just EV adoption"
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2024, 03:24 PM   #6001
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Cold Snap: EV Owners Face Reduced Range, Longer Charging Times
01/17/2024
Model Range Lost Below Freezing
2021-2022 Audi E-Tron 16%
2019 Nissan Leaf 23%
Tesla Model 3 Long Range 24%
Tesla Model X 100D 24%
Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD 24%
2022-2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Extended Range 26%
Tesla Model S 90D 28%
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range 34%
2020-2021 Hyundai Kona Electric 34%
2015 Nissan Leaf 34%
2017-2022 Chevy Bolt 42%
2021 Volkswagen ID.4 46%

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/cold-sn...harging-times/
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2024, 03:54 PM   #6002
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

One, they're opt-in programs. Two, they have overrides for the times you absolutely need to charge right now. Third, with an EV, you almost never drive the thing down to nothing. I have never seen single digit %'s on my car. I charge any time the battery gets below 30%. It just requires a little planning and forethought but hey, I never have to stop at a gas station. And if some surprise comes up, I just take one of my other two ICE vehicles... It's really nice living in the middle and not forcing myself to either end of the extremes...
Ah, um, well, this just just um... seems incongruous.
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2024, 04:33 PM   #6003
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Efthreeoh17429.00
      01-17-2024, 04:58 PM   #6004
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
no need to be obtuse. Or maybe you're just thick? boring day to day driving requires no gas stations. I drive a total of about 12k miles a year with 9k of those miles on the EV... 3/4 of my driving requires zero time at a gas station.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2024, 05:01 PM   #6005
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You don't have a clue on what "Managed electric vehicle (EV) charging" is do you?
Here is an official government source so that should work for you.

https://www.energy.gov/femp/managed-...hicle-charging

Management of increased demand for electricity without the need for additional investment in traditional power grid infrastructure is known as "non-wire" solutions.
Charging Load Estimation
Estimation of regional charging loads distributes charging more evenly across the grid, thereby reducing peak generation needs, and ensuring safe and reliable charging for all.
Control Adjustment
Adjustment of controls maintains grid reliability during extreme weather events.
I especially like the "equitable and just EV adoption"

I'll requote myself just because you seemed to diliberatly delete and ignore that part of my post...

Quote:
One, they're opt-in programs. Two, they have overrides for the times you absolutely need to charge right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 05:05 PM   #6006
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
I'll requote myself just because you seemed to diliberatly delete and ignore that part of my post...
So to paraphrase, you have no idea what "Managed electric vehicle (EV) charging" is.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1576.00