BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Run Flat Tool Components

02-01-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Run Flat Tool Components

I bought a 2016 X1 and it has the 19" Run Flat option.

There is no spare, no jack, no compressor.

The only thing in the wheel storage area is a tow anchor and a screw driver in a foam holder

Where is this stored?

What else comes with the RFT Option in regards to tools and where is it stored?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcborn59 View Post
I bought a 2016 X1 and it has the 19" Run Flat option.

There is no spare, no jack, no compressor.

The only thing in the wheel storage area is a tow anchor and a screw driver in a foam holder

Where is this stored?

What else comes with the RFT Option in regards to tools and where is it stored?
Hi
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, that is it unless you have a security locked nut on each wheel in which case the small tool should be there also. Even new cars with non RFT no longer automatically carry a spare, instead you get a small electric tyre pump with screw in tyre/tire sealant. You may have a warning triangle in the trunk door (look up), although it is not supplied for all markets. It’s all about weight saving.

I found the best option was to get a good electric tyre pump and a tyre repair kit (they are easy to use, loads of demos on YouTube). This is the type of thing..

https://www.amazon.ca/Tooluxe-50002L...s%2C265&sr=8-6

With the tyre pressure warning system you usually get plenty of time to find a safe place to pull over, I found repair took no more than 10 mins. If you get a can of foaming windshield cleaner it can help identify where puncture is. The kit has everything you need to remove nail, plug hole and then re-inflate tire (need pump). Way easier than trying to handle a jack, tire and wrench on a cold dark night.

There are at least two forum threads of people fitting there own spare tire kit, what to buy, sizes, how to secure etc. I didn’t bother, happy with a repair kit.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=Spare+tire

Last edited by MJE60; 02-01-2021 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Hi
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, that is it unless you have a security locked nut on each wheel in which case the small tool should be there also. Even new cars with non RFT no longer automatically carry a spare, instead you get a small electric tyre pump with screw in tyre/tire sealant. You may have a warning triangle in the trunk door (look up), although it is not supplied for all markets. It’s all about weight saving.

I found the best option was to get a good electric tyre pump and a tyre repair kit (they are easy to use, loads of demos on YouTube). This is the type of thing..

https://www.amazon.ca/Tooluxe-50002L...s%2C265&sr=8-6

With the tyre pressure warning system you usually get plenty of time to find a safe place to pull over, I found repair took no more than 10 mins. If you get a can of foaming windshield cleaner it can help identify where puncture is. The kit has everything you need to remove nail, plug hole and then re-inflate tire (need pump). Way easier than trying to handle a jack, tire and wrench on a cold dark night.

There are at least two forum threads of people fitting there own spare tire kit, what to buy, sizes, how to secure etc. I didn’t bother, happy with a repair kit.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=Spare+tire
Yes I have the wheel lock, was in glove compartment. I see where it fits into the foam holder.

I do not have the air pump or the sealant, if I did not sure where it's hiding. I read something in the manual about a Mobility Kit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 12:17 PM   #4
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Yes I have the wheel lock, was in glove compartment. I see where it fits into the foam holder.

I do not have the air pump or the sealant, if I did not sure where it's hiding. I read something in the manual about a Mobility Kit.
If you read my post, pump and tire sealant are only provided in new non-RFT cars. RFT option cars, for most markets, get no spare and the only tools were tow hook, screwdriver and possibly wheel nut adapter.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 12:52 PM   #5
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

Three weeks in to my new X1, and I only just discovered this foam storage piece yesterday, 'hidden' way back in the cargo area. Had no idea it was there. The screw driver is handy. And now I know where to store the wheel lock key!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco II View Post
Three weeks in to my new X1, and I only just discovered this foam storage piece yesterday, 'hidden' way back in the cargo area. Had no idea it was there. The screw driver is handy. And now I know where to store the wheel lock key!
Does it attach the the velcro strap on the back wall
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #7
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

Quote:
Does it attach the the velcro strap on the back wall
It does, which is why I hadn’t even seen it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #8
grumpyguy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco II View Post
I didn't know it was there either and now need to unload all the crap I stored in the lower compartment so I can find it. LOL