BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW X1 - A couple of newbie questions

03-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
SkScotchegg
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - 18D - Xline - white

Question BMW X1 - A couple of newbie questions

Hi guys, please can you answer these questions for me:
  1. Hill start assist - Does this car have hill start assist and if so how do I enable it?
  2. Idrive - Can you make this brighter? or turn off the sensor that dims the screen during the day?
  3. Profile - How do I save my settings to the profile? or is this done automatically?
  4. Profile - Do I have to enable stop/start, auto wipers and high beam assist every time I get into the car? It seems like it to me? Unless I have to save it to profile somehow in idrive?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkScotchegg View Post
Hi guys, please can you answer these questions for me:
  1. Hill start assist - Does this car have hill start assist and if so how do I enable it?
  2. Idrive - Can you make this brighter? or turn off the sensor that dims the screen during the day?
  3. Profile - How do I save my settings to the profile? or is this done automatically?
  4. Profile - Do I have to enable stop/start, auto wipers and high beam assist every time I get into the car? It seems like it to me? Unless I have to save it to profile somehow in idrive?

Thanks in advance.
Your idrive and Profile questions would be answered by reading the manual.

For hill start assist - I assume this vehicle is standard? If so, get the vehicle in a slight upward hill, apply the brake slightly to hold the car, then release the clutch and brake....if the car holds for a few seconds then you have hill assist.

My 2010 Z4 had this feature
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

1) Yes. Standard on all trims.

2 and 3) It's in the manual. Can't remember off the top of my head.

4) Start/Stop is ON by default and works automatically, depending on battery conditions and temperature. Auto headlights and wipers are OFF by default and you'd have to activate them manually every time you get in the car. You can't change either of these default settings via iDrive. Only choice is to recode.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
SkScotchegg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
1) Yes. Standard on all trims.

2 and 3) It's in the manual. Can't remember off the top of my head.

4) Start/Stop is ON by default and works automatically, depending on battery conditions and temperature. Auto headlights and wipers are OFF by default and you'd have to activate them manually every time you get in the car. You can't change either of these default settings via iDrive. Only choice is to recode.
Thanks for your replies mate.

Am I right in thinking I have to enable high beam assist and traction control every time I get into the car too?

And regarding the stop/start, it never seems to activate, is this due have AC on? Is there something I can do to ensure it works, in my previous car it activated every time I stopped at traffic lights?

I end up having to press 5-6 buttons every time I get in the car!! lol

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkScotchegg View Post
Thanks for your replies mate.

Am I right in thinking I have to enable high beam assist and traction control every time I get into the car too?

And regarding the stop/start, it never seems to activate, is this due have AC on? Is there something I can do to ensure it works, in my previous car it activated every time I stopped at traffic lights?

I end up having to press 5-6 buttons every time I get in the car!! lol

Thanks in advance.
My bad. I meant high beam assist, not auto headlights. You’d have to press its button every time.

RE traction control, it’s ON by default and turns on again after restart if you manually disable it. All cars manufactured since the 90’s have been like that. Do not mess with it unless you’ve thoroughly read the manual. There is a very good chance that turning it off will also void your insurance if you get into an accident. Please please please read the manual before messing with safety features.

There are only two buttons that are OFF by default, high beam assist and auto wipers. And you won’t need to do anything unless it’s dark and/or wet.

RE auto start/stop, its behaviour is based on battery condition, outside temperature, AC (heating in particular including seats and steering wheel), and driving mode (eco-pro/comfort/sport). It’s ON by default. If the conditions are right, it’ll work.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 04:57 AM   #6
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

You can turn OFF the auto Stop/Start function by pressing the button right next to the Start button. When the function is OFF the orange light on that button will be lit. You also get a brief message on the instrument panel display to say it's been switched off.

If the auto Stop/Start function is ON, then that orange light will be off, and the engine should stop when you're stationary. It won't do this until the engine is warmed up though, so if you are at traffic lights for example having just set off with a cold engine, the engine will keep running and you should see a message icon in the instrument panel that has the "A" inside a circle but with a diagonal line through it to indicate that the Stop/Start function isn't being activated at this time. But when warmed up you should find that the engine stops at lights, in queues etc.

I'm assuming you've got an automatic gearbox? The engine stops when you've stopped with your foot on the brake. You can also engage the handbrake and the engine will remain stopped. The engine will start again as soon as you release the footbrake or the handbrake, or if you turn the steering wheel.

There are a couple of other situations where the Stop/Start function won't turn off the engine. If you are on an incline, or if you have the steering wheel turned quite a way away from straight, e.g. you are waiting to pull away at a junction (rather than sitting in a straight queue of traffic)

This is all in the manual btw...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #7
SkScotchegg
Rep

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated it.

I have manual btw. I went for sdrive Xline 18d manual gear box.

I did read through the manual but not all of it, I've been reading through differant sections but I still get confused even after reading the manual.

The reason why you guys might be confused with my questions is because I'm knew to driving in general, I've only been driving 2 years and this is my 2nd car so it's all new to me

I'm still confused by the traction control thing. The button in the middle above where you change to sport mode. It says "Off" on the button but if you press it, it shows traction on the LED screen above steering wheel and on idrive it says its enabled" so confuses me that everyone says it's enabled by default. Unless I got confused with the button and maybe I'm talking about something else and no traction control, I've no idea, I'll take some pictures later.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

The X1 provides Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) by default, and this will be enabled every time you start the car without having to touch anything at all. There are no additional lights on the instrument panel for DSC, it's just on and working in the background to try and provide the best stability and traction control it can.

If you briefly press the "DSC Off" button as you've seen, the word TRACTION appears in the instrument panel. This is actually taking you a step DOWN the safety ladder as it were, turning off DSC and enabling what BMW call DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) instead. This apparently allows more wheelspin and is actually the recommended setting for driving in snowy conditions, but not for general driving. To quote the manual, "driving stability is limited on accelerating and cornering" when DTC is selected (rather than the default DSC)

Pressing and holding the "DSC Off" button for a few seconds turns DSC off. This is probably not what you want for general driving...

In short you shouldn't need to touch the "DSC Off" button for general driving. You certainly don't need to press it every time you get in the car!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
SkScotchegg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
The X1 provides Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) by default, and this will be enabled every time you start the car without having to touch anything at all. There are no additional lights on the instrument panel for DSC, it's just on and working in the background to try and provide the best stability and traction control it can.

If you briefly press the "DSC Off" button as you've seen, the word TRACTION appears in the instrument panel. This is actually taking you a step DOWN the safety ladder as it were, turning off DSC and enabling what BMW call DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) instead. This apparently allows more wheelspin and is actually the recommended setting for driving in snowy conditions, but not for general driving. To quote the manual, "driving stability is limited on accelerating and cornering" when DTC is selected (rather than the default DSC)

Pressing and holding the "DSC Off" button for a few seconds turns DSC off. This is probably not what you want for general driving...

In short you shouldn't need to touch the "DSC Off" button for general driving. You certainly don't need to press it every time you get in the car!
Thanks a lot mate, that cleared that up for me, thanks for the detailed explanation. That makes total sense now.

Well the other night, Saturday evening when the snow was really bad here in Leeds I drove to the shops 30 seconds away down the road and I noticed when I used that button in the snow it really helped as the car was spinning it's wheels even at 15mph but with DTC enabled it fixed that problem and drove amazing, I was really impressed at the difference it made! - It did tell me when I pressed the button that it has disabled other features but didn't tell me what. I didn't know what the button was apart from the fact that it said traction control enabled on the small digital screen above my steering wheel.

So I won't ever touch this button again, accept for the couple of times each year we get snow here in the UK.

Last edited by SkScotchegg; 03-19-2018 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0