BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Finding my X1 uncomfortable

06-18-2016, 05:22 AM   #1
Colin DF753
Rep
Drives: X1 xline 20d

Finding my X1 uncomfortable

I got my X1 just over a month ago - a couple of days into owning I found the seats a bit uncomfortable and the ride very clashy, but assumed I'd get used to it. I've now driven about 2000 miles on a variety of UK roads, and still find it very uncomfortable - I find the ride very tiring and when I get out my back hurts for a few hours. I've tried a whole range of seat adjustments. I have a 20d xline with 19" wheels + runflat, standard seats and standard suspension. Everything else about the car I really like. My previous car was a late 2014 3 series touring (with run-flats) which I found very comfortable. I think my options are:

1. Soldier on and hope I get used to it
2. Change to non-runflats
3. Change to 18" wheels and non-runflats
4. Swap for another X1 with sports seats, 18" wheels and EDC
5. Cut my losses and get a completely different car.

At the moment I'm erring towards 4 or 5, although these would be expensive.
I see from the posts here, and cars on sale that 19" wheels and standard seats are a common combination, so I might be missing something.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome - anyone had any similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

When I had the Xline on 24hr demo I didn't find it uncomfortable but the seats lacked any support IMHO. Max drive was 30 miles so wasn't in the car too long but it was on 19's with EDC. From what I gather, standard non MSport suspension is similar to comfort in EDC?

Maybe go visit a dealer & try a 18" equipped NRF car first & see if that is different but I find the current RF tyres loads better than those 3/4 years ago were.

I recon the seats might be your problem so try one with sports seats. My dealer was good enough to loan me a X1 overnite, some aren't so pick your dealer.

Hope you get it sorted. Might be as easy as a tyre change.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 06:01 AM   #3
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

I have 18"+ RFTs and I can only imagine how horrible 19" + RFTs would be. I also have EDC. Sport mode is only tolerable on good roads and only if you want to have some fun. It gets exhausting very quickly otherwise. I also live in Surrey, pothole capital of England!

19" is popular with dealers because it costs more and arguably looks sharper (though I personally only like the M-Sport version and hate the other two).

My opinion: If you can go for 18"/EDC, do not hesitate at all. It gives you the best of both: soft and stiff suspension at the flick of a switch. As for the RFT tyres, you'd have to decide if you want to sacrifice a quieter and slightly softer ride for the extra cargo space or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

I had a 24hr loan of an X1 Xdrive20d M-sport with the 19" wheels +run-flats.
The dealer asked me what I thought of it. "Terrible" I replied. Harsh ride & bad road-noise.

I didn't have any say in the spec of the loan car, but I already knew that combination of wheels/tyres/suspension was one to avoid on anything other than smooth new roads.

I've ordered an X1 (20i) in M-sport spec - but with 18" wheels with non run-flat tyres and EDC. I've not driven one in that spec, so I'm taking a leap in the dark but it has to be better than 19"/Run-flat/M-sport suspsension.

About 6 years ago I had a 120i M-sport with 18" wheels & run-flats. It was like driving a go-kart. Changing the tyres to non run-flat made the car just about bearable. I swore I'd never have plain M-sport suspension again.

So, my advice -
I don't think just changing the tyres to non run-flats will be enough as they will still be quite low profile on 19" wheels. So the minimum would be a change to 18" wheels and non run-flats.
However, there are also many, many unfavourable reviews of the standard seats too. So it looks like your option 4 or 5 is the only way to go.

Can you arrange a test drive with that combination? Will the dealer put a set of 18" non RFTs on your car for you for a day?

If you choose to change the car, then next time read/watch as many reviews as possible. The issues you identify are widely reported.

Last edited by MrTracey; 06-18-2016 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 06:31 AM   #5
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
As for the RFT tyres, you'd have to decide if you want to sacrifice a quieter and slightly softer ride for the extra cargo space or not.
I assume the reference to cargo space is related to carrying a spare wheel?
I've had non run-flats on 2 cars in the last 5 years and never carried a spare tyre, only a tyre repair kit.

My current car (M135i) comes fitted with normal tyres as standard (not RFTs BMW? I wonder why...) and no spare wheel - just a compressor and tyre sealant. If that doesn't work, then I'm going to press the BMW emergency call button!

Depends on your attitude to risk.

Last edited by MrTracey; 06-18-2016 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

I have 19" wheels w/RFT's & M-Sport suspension on my current F30 - a comfy ride in the main however very crashy over potholes..the low tyre wall doesn't help with the risk of kerbing either.

As much as I love the look of 19's on the X1, I discounted them as an option straight away. I have had two loan X1's, one a Sport with 18" wheels & non-RFT's, the second an X-Line with 18" wheels & RFT's (also had EDC). I found the ride nice on both but the telltale RFT signs were very evident on the second car....neither ride was as crashy as my F30 though, even in Sport mode.

Both cars had Sports seats, something which makes a noticeable difference from the std seats (I've sat in an X1 with std seats at my local dealership) IMO.

For my X1 I have specced std M-Sport suspension, 18" wheels w/non-RFT's, no spare wheel - just the tyre compressor kit.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
Remmm
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F48 Alpinweiss

Perhaps the cheapest way is to switch to non-rft's. My car started on 19" non-rtf winter tyres and it drove very nice. Then they changed to my summer tyres RFT's and I really hate them. I am quickly going to burn some rubber to switch them to new summer tyres.

Sport Seats will also give u more pleasure.. Very difficult choice u have perhaps the dealer can help u out without to much cost.. Don't get EDC that is a very stupid choice.. Stuff only gets stiffer and not more comfortable
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
Colin DF753
Rep

Thank you so much for your help - I'm going to try getting some 18" non rft to try out, on my car if possible, as MrT suggests, then if that's not good enough I think I'll have to try out the sports seats, and swap cars. It just shows the importance of research and a proper test drive - although I did go into the dealer to buy a 4-series Gran Coupe, and somehow bought an X1!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
Colin DF753
Rep

My other conclusion must be that most people with 19" wheels and standard seats will be unhappy with their X1 - maybe that's why there seem to be so many low mileage ones for sale.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #10
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmm
Perhaps the cheapest way is to switch to non-rft's. My car started on 19" non-rtf winter tyres and it drove very nice. Then they changed to my summer tyres RFT's and I really hate them. I am quickly going to burn some rubber to switch them to new summer tyres.

Sport Seats will also give u more pleasure.. Very difficult choice u have perhaps the dealer can help u out without to much cost.. Don't get EDC that is a very stupid choice.. Stuff only gets stiffer and not more comfortable
Agree, the switch to non-RFTs is the cheapest option...even better if you can swap to 18".

FWIW, the ride in Comfort on an EDC equipped car is better (slightly softer/more compliant) than the standard suspension following the damper calibration changes BMW made in production for cars built from January this year.

But really, it sounds like the nub of the OP's problem is the seats, and that'll be expensive to remedy. Those standard MINI seats just don't cut it, in my opinion; the sports seats are a great improvement.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #11
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin DF753 View Post
Thank you so much for your help - I'm going to try getting some 18" non rft to try out, on my car if possible, as MrT suggests, then if that's not good enough I think I'll have to try out the sports seats, and swap cars. It just shows the importance of research and a proper test drive - although I did go into the dealer to buy a 4-series Gran Coupe, and somehow bought an X1!!
If you'd have gone for the M-Sport plus pack on a 4GC with std M-Sport suspension, you'd definitely be complaining about the ride!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #12
ChuckyUK
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive25d xLine MW

Quote:
My other conclusion must be that most people with 19" wheels and standard seats will be unhappy with their X1 - maybe that's why there seem to be so many low mileage ones for sale.
I test drove a 25d with 18" RFT tyres and standard seats before ordering mine! Harsh ride with horrible road noise! I now have a 25d with 18" NON RFT tyres and Sport Seats and my word what a difference!! Absolutely comfortable and great to drive - it's quieter and definitely soaks up potholes and bumps better than my F30 did!!

I think you should opt for option 4 but skip the EDC!
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #13
X1PGK
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d X Drive X Line 2016

Quote:
I got my X1 just over a month ago - a couple of days into owning I found the seats a bit uncomfortable and the ride very clashy, but assumed I'd get used to it. I've now driven about 2000 miles on a variety of UK roads, and still find it very uncomfortable - I find the ride very tiring and when I get out my back hurts for a few hours. I've tried a whole range of seat adjustments. I have a 20d xline with 19" wheels + runflat, standard seats and standard suspension. Everything else about the car I really like. My previous car was a late 2014 3 series touring (with run-flats) which I found very comfortable. I think my options are:

I see from the posts here, and cars on sale that 19" wheels and standard seats are a common combination, so I might be missing something.

I have pretty much the same spec except I luckily have the Sports seats. I find them very good. Better than the sports seats I had in a 320d Sports Coupe I had a few years ago and much better than the 'comfort' seats I had in our last 320d saloon.
Try and get the sports seats is my advice.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 02:23 AM   #14
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I have an M Sport with 19" wheels, RFT's and EDC. I find the ride rather soft in comfort mode, but I guess as I've previously stated it depends what cars you've previously run. I almost always switch to sport mode when driving the car...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 05:06 AM   #15
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0i x-drive Sport AW

As I suffer from a severe spinal problem this sounds worrying to me, I have read a number of posts about the x-line seats being uncomfortable, but as I have sports seats and 18" wheels hopefully it will not be anything to worry about.
I did drive an x-line on a full day test drive, not sure about the size/type of the wheels and tyres.
When I brought the car back home to pick my son up he remarked how much better I was looking while driving this car compared to my current one which IS causing me more pain that it should.
I then drove from Peterborough to Cambridge, then down the M11 to the M25 and back up again, so it was a good longish drive in heavy traffic and I felt more refreshed after that drive than a 20min run to the shops in my current car.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #16
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsman View Post
As I suffer from a severe spinal problem this sounds worrying to me, I have read a number of posts about the x-line seats being uncomfortable, but as I have sports seats and 18" wheels hopefully it will not be anything to worry about.
I did drive an x-line on a full day test drive, not sure about the size/type of the wheels and tyres.
When I brought the car back home to pick my son up he remarked how much better I was looking while driving this car compared to my current one which IS causing me more pain that it should.
I then drove from Peterborough to Cambridge, then down the M11 to the M25 and back up again, so it was a good longish drive in heavy traffic and I felt more refreshed after that drive than a 20min run to the shops in my current car.
I'm sure you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #17
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:

I'm not sure whether you want to read this, but as you asked for some experience.

I've just finished running in, 2000 miles in just under a couple of weeks and have taken it around Wales, Peak District and the Highlands which satisfies my need to try all surfaces early on and to do 10-12 hour trips in a hit. A top end test will be run soon in Germany.

But:

Sports seats ( full electric with lumbar ).
18 wheels with Bridgestone 255/50s non-RFs.
EDC

Seats:
The Sports seats and headrest seem to have more 'give' than the demo car ( this maybe a trick of the mind though ). The tilt and lumbar adjustments have nailed this car for me, I prefer sitting here than anywhere right now.
The seats have been a relief, though to be honest I did a 6 hour test drive and despite the seats being hard, I didn't suffer from any problems after.
I actually get more discomfort from the Sports seats in the X4, so I wonder if they're too soft.

EDC
makes the car 'bouncy' on undulating surfaces ( think scottish single track roads that are subject to various stresses ), Sport mode controls the rebound here and fixes that.

I'd still option EDC again ( despite my wallet fears when it comes to replacing them ), if you have any experience of ESA on a BMW motorcycle its much the same IMHO, just lacking the 15 settings!

Personally I find the road noise more than I was expecting, but it is after all a jacked-up van and have become more used to it.

In essence, if it was me and it being feasible, I'd go for #4. But you have to remember extra the refinements come in the X3+ and 6 cylinder engines, plus you're higher off the ground than a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #18
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Just did a journey from Wolverhampton to Leicester and back for a family function today, it's our first longish trip in the car since we had it. I have no complaints with ride, tried sport and comfort modes. Comfort takes a bit of getting used to for me as the car does roll a little before biting into a corner, not had this feeling in a car for a long time so I think I just needed to learn to trust the handling in this mode... Sports seats were also great as they have softened a little over the 1.6k the car has covered. My only real gripe is road noise on poor surfaces, should be quieter
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #19
Saintsman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0i x-drive Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
I'm sure you'll be fine.
I'll find out in 10 days, got my delivery date today.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #20
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdh89j9ijkL View Post
I'm not sure whether you want to read this, but as you asked for some experience.

I've just finished running in, 2000 miles in just under a couple of weeks and have taken it around Wales, Peak District and the Highlands which satisfies my need to try all surfaces early on and to do 10-12 hour trips in a hit. A top end test will be run soon in Germany.

But:

EDC

Seats:
The Sports seats and headrest seem to have more 'give' than the demo car ( this maybe a trick of the mind though ). The tilt and lumbar adjustments have nailed this car for me, I prefer sitting here than anywhere right now.
The seats have been a relief, though to be honest I did a 6 hour test drive and despite the seats being hard, I didn't suffer from any problems after.
I actually get more discomfort from the Sports seats in the X4, so I wonder if they're too soft.

EDC
makes the car 'bouncy' on undulating surfaces ( think scottish single track roads that are subject to various stresses ), Sport mode controls the rebound here and fixes that.

I'd still option EDC again ( despite my wallet fears when it comes to replacing them ), if you have any experience of ESA on a BMW motorcycle its much the same IMHO, just lacking the 15 settings!

Personally I find the road noise more than I was expecting, but it is after all a jacked-up van and have become more used to it.

In essence, if it was me and it being feasible, I'd go for #4. But you have to remember extra the refinements come in the X3+ and 6 cylinder engines, plus you're higher off the ground than a 3 series.
Haha we must have been typing at the same time but similar thoughts
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #21
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsman View Post
I'll find out in 10 days, got my delivery date today.
Excellent, hope they don't go too slowly for you...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #22
Colin DF753
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdh89j9ijkL View Post

But:

EDC

Seats:

EDC

Thanks - this is really useful - will be going to a couple of dealers tomorrow to see what they can do, but I also think that option 4 looks best.
Appreciate 0