BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Metal ticking on acceleration

05-01-2024, 05:24 PM   #1
Beams
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2018

I have recently noticed my 2018 F48 started having ticking noise.
It was not noticeable initially while windows are closed, but it’s started getting warm so I hear more of these ticking sound with window opening.

The ticking sound seem to come from the front of the car. When I accelerate, the ticking speed also accelerate. When I roll at 30mph speed, the ticking speed adjust with the speed of the car without acceleration.

Here’s the sound front engine area:
https://youtube.com/shorts/oEbNiXqOq...rAk6tx09Qcp2t7

Much appreciated in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 06:44 AM   #2
Beams
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any thoughts? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 03:15 PM   #3
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Hard to tell without knowing the current condition and history of your X1, but I would say it's normal for 4-cyl BMWs. I had it on my 2017 2.0i (my first 4-cyl BMW), and while multiple mechanics checked it (including BMW service), they all agreed it was normal.

If you ask me, I think it's related to the timing chain or the VANOS. But, to check that, you need to open the engine and pretty much re-do it. In other words, it isn't worth it unless it's something more serious.
Beams10.50
      05-08-2024, 11:33 AM   #4
Beams
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Hard to tell without knowing the current condition and history of your X1, but I would say it's normal for 4-cyl BMWs. I had it on my 2017 2.0i (my first 4-cyl BMW), and while multiple mechanics checked it (including BMW service), they all agreed it was normal.

If you ask me, I think it's related to the timing chain or the VANOS. But, to check that, you need to open the engine and pretty much re-do it. In other words, it isn't worth it unless it's something more serious.
Thank you. Could this be a manifold leak? I’m asking because the tick sound is more clear when I’m near the front wheel or bottom of the car. Same sound tick level on both sides of the car.

Otherwise the car drives fine, no issues accelerating normal and smooth. I won’t be able to hear it if window closed.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 05:50 PM   #5
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beams View Post
Thank you. Could this be a manifold leak? I’m asking because the tick sound is more clear when I’m near the front wheel or bottom of the car. Same sound tick level on both sides of the car.

Otherwise the car drives fine, no issues accelerating normal and smooth. I won’t be able to hear it if window closed.
I don't think it's related to a leak. To me, it's related to the moving parts inside the engine (cylinder head, perhaps?), but who knows?

You should double-check with a good indy shop for peace of mind.
      05-11-2024, 05:30 AM   #6
Beams
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
I don't think it's related to a leak. To me, it's related to the moving parts inside the engine (cylinder head, perhaps?), but who knows?

You should double-check with a good indy shop for peace of mind.
I took it to the “stealership” for diagnosis, report said it’s fuel breather valve, they told me engine and injector is fine... But after replacing the valve, it still has this tick with rpm.

It’s odd that it only start the tick after the car warms up. Also some came from the bottom of the car, it’s more obvious from both side of the car. 😵‍💫
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 06:46 PM   #7
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beams View Post
I took it to the “stealership” for diagnosis, report said it’s fuel breather valve, they told me engine and injector is fine... But after replacing the valve, it still has this tick with rpm.

It’s odd that it only start the tick after the car warms up. Also some came from the bottom of the car, it’s more obvious from both side of the car. 😵‍💫
The Fuel breather valve is one of those common problems in the F48, so it's okay to change it. Although I'm sure you overpay for that, the valve itself is not that expensive and easy to change.

Anyway, going back to the ticking sound, just assume it's normal, like I did. You can also go to an indy shop (specializing in BMWs) to try to get a second opinion. However, unless they can see something wrong/odd with the diagnosis tool (using the ODB2 port), I don't think you will get lucky.