BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Tail-gate closing - auto-stop resistance.

05-15-2016, 06:16 AM   #1
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Tail-gate closing - auto-stop resistance.

Has anyone who's received a X1 in the past few months tested the auto-stop of the tail-gate?

On the test drive ( a late 2015 build ), I noticed that it would easily trap someone; I had to push very hard to stop it. On a X4 it stops by just providing some light resistance. Bearing in mind how low the X1's tailgate is, and with the comfort access you can ( I did ) start off the auto closing and have to respond pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Mine seems to stop with fairly light resistance.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Mine seems to stop with fairly light resistance.
Same here. I don't have comfort access. But I'm assuming it's the same mechanism and parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Thanks, that's quite a relief.

The comfort access was a pain, you'd be standing in the middle of the boot area, rummaging around in a rucksack when the car would start beeping and the the tailgate was coming down ( I had no idea what was going on ), the BMW tailgates aren't slow, the amount of resistance I had to use pushing against the gate was too much, a child wouldn't have stood a chance.

However, the anti-window trapping was very good. Having been nearly crushed by the tailgate, it reminded me to check the windows
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 04:04 AM   #5
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdh89j9ijkL View Post
Thanks, that's quite a relief.

The comfort access was a pain, you'd be standing in the middle of the boot area, rummaging around in a rucksack when the car would start beeping and the the tailgate was coming down ( I had no idea what was going on ), the BMW tailgates aren't slow, the amount of resistance I had to use pushing against the gate was too much, a child wouldn't have stood a chance.

However, the anti-window trapping was very good. Having been nearly crushed by the tailgate, it reminded me to check the windows
Just over two weeks in with my X1 - I use the comfort access all the time (reminds me that I must check that the keys work manually) and I really like it. I have just once activated the tailgate by accident and dodged out of the way fairly quickly so I can't comment on the pressure needed to stop it.

However, bear in mind that the key has to be near the boot for the comfort access to work so there should always be an adult present to "save" a child from trapping. There is an audible warning and the lights flash when closing starts.
Appreciate 0