BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Basic Maintenance Questions

04-04-2024, 09:17 AM   #1
Raunchyy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 440i

Basic Maintenance Questions

Hey Guys,

Just started seeing someone who drives a 2021 BMW X1 Xdrive. The other day her car through a warning about her brake system and I guess whatever automatic upload system that BMW has told the dealership that it's her rear brakes. The car has ~35,000 and at a quick glance, without taking the wheels off, the pads do look worn out. Driving it around I haven't noticed anything squishy. The only thing abnormal is it pulls to the right, so I think I'll bring it in for an alignment.

Next weekend I was going to pop the tires off to do a good inspection of the pads and if it's even wear then I'll assume that the pads are shot, so I'll replace them and the rotors. Just wanted to make sure these are the correct ones and I am not missing anything else required. :

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...kebono-eur1762

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nn-34216799369

Additionally while I have it on the lift, I was going to do an oil/filter change because it needs it. I was reading that 0w20 is what the car takes, but I know BMW recommends that for emissions. I was thinking of switching it to a 5w30, BUT FCP Euro and Liqui Moly's website does not say the 2021 is compatible (unless I am reading their chart wrong). Can someone please elaborate? We live down in Florida, so the car doesn't see cold. I'll be going with liquid moly and I've read that the car takes 5.6qts. Can someone confirm this?

Cheers!

Last edited by Raunchyy; 04-04-2024 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Additional Question
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:11 AM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Yes and yes and.. yes.. your call as to what you switch the oil to. I am not an oil aficiando myself and have used different weights with no apparent difference. However, it is a 2021, and in order to keep with the warranty I think I would simply stick with 0w-20 as that is the oil that is currently being used by BMW. The finer line is "BMW approved" oil. Which if you're ordering from FCP euro just stick with the bmw oil. Once it's out of warranty I wouldn't have issues switching to something else. I love liquimoly products myself and have been using them for decades. The funny thing is that I believe it's only the toptec 6600 that is "bmw approved" when you are looking up the fine print, maybe a couple others. But their 5w-30 is technically not the last I checked. I think that's a little bit too crazy myself. On my other "race cars" that burn hotter I've done 5w-40 and other but that's to keep the oil viscosity higher which you might want in florida. At the same time if the car isn't consuming or using oil.. why change?

And yes it's always a full bottle of liquimoly plus a little extra so 5.6 qts is right on.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 11:44 AM   #3
Raunchyy
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Yes and yes and.. yes.. your call as to what you switch the oil to. I am not an oil aficiando myself and have used different weights with no apparent difference. However, it is a 2021, and in order to keep with the warranty I think I would simply stick with 0w-20 as that is the oil that is currently being used by BMW. The finer line is "BMW approved" oil. Which if you're ordering from FCP euro just stick with the bmw oil. Once it's out of warranty I wouldn't have issues switching to something else. I love liquimoly products myself and have been using them for decades. The funny thing is that I believe it's only the toptec 6600 that is "bmw approved" when you are looking up the fine print, maybe a couple others. But their 5w-30 is technically not the last I checked. I think that's a little bit too crazy myself. On my other "race cars" that burn hotter I've done 5w-40 and other but that's to keep the oil viscosity higher which you might want in florida. At the same time if the car isn't consuming or using oil.. why change?

And yes it's always a full bottle of liquimoly plus a little extra so 5.6 qts is right on.
Thank you for the quick reply! Yeah I am going to just stick with 0w20 with the below link. I looked up the owner's manual and it only says 0w20/30, so I'll just keep it standard. If it was my 440i, I'd chance using something with a different viscosity, but knowing my luck, I'd mess her car up and lose credibility all in one go haha.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...11428593186kt1
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 03:58 PM   #4
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

One brake pad on front and rear have a wear sensor. If it's been tripped then yes, you need to replace the brake pads. It's an inside pad that has the sensor. And you will also have to replace the sensor if you let it go for too long as the sensor itself will be damaged. In your case the car has already notified you so the sensor has been tripped. (it's a little wire that breaks as soon as it makes sufficient contact with the brake rotor).

Electric e-brake on the rear of that thing. You can pull the motor off to retract the caliper piston. I'm sure I took pictures of it somewhere and posted a thread at one point in time.

Agree with Rice-Rocket. Keep the OEM oil till the warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 05:35 PM   #5
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

I've always run 0/20 and at 141k miles no oil loss
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:19 PM   #6
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
If you have the bimmerlink app (and compatible dongle) you can put the ebrake in service mode before you change the pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 08:32 PM   #7
Raunchyy
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
If you have the bimmerlink app (and compatible dongle) you can put the ebrake in service mode before you change the pads.
Does this app bind to a specific vin or will it accept anything the ODB plugs into?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 05:32 PM   #8
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

It's linked to whomever downloaded it.. you can just jump to as many cars as you want to use it. I've probably used it on at least 10 bmw's between friends and family and my own.
Appreciate 2