BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Warranty expiry during Lockdown

11-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

Warranty expiry during Lockdown

Here in the UK, our Government in its wisdom, had declared a second Lockdown. This is supposedly to end by the 3rd December, but already our leaders have made hints this will go on beyond that date.
Prior to all this nonsense I had booked my X1 for a pre warranty expiry inspection as well as an MOT, and full service. I called the BMW dealership today asking what the situation is if I’m not allowed to get the car to the garage. In theory my journey is non essential. I was told as far as BMW was concerned, they would not extend the warranty even because of lockdown.
It looks like an excuse by BMW not to cover items that might be found necessary (BTW I don’t think there are any). I feel it’s poor customer service, and I won’t be buying another BMW next time I change my car. No goodwill by BMW and no goodwill will be reciprocated!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Rather than spitting the dummy, I'd make a service reservation for a date before warranty expiration, noting the purpose. On the same date, I'd also email the dealer sales manager for an appointment to discuss purchasing a new replacement. If the lock-down prevents you from keeping either appointment, before the date, I'd request a reschedule of both for reasons beyond your control and explain you expect any warranty issues still to be supported by BMW. In the event you get push-back, send a reasonable but firmly worded email to the dealer principal and BMW Customer Service, explaining the situation is beyond your control and requesting the warranty support. If that doesn't work, then raise with consumer affairs, followed by public dummy spit!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
Here in the UK, our Government in its wisdom, had declared a second Lockdown. This is supposedly to end by the 3rd December, but already our leaders have made hints this will go on beyond that date.
Prior to all this nonsense I had booked my X1 for a pre warranty expiry inspection as well as an MOT, and full service. I called the BMW dealership today asking what the situation is if I’m not allowed to get the car to the garage. In theory my journey is non essential. I was told as far as BMW was concerned, they would not extend the warranty even because of lockdown.
It looks like an excuse by BMW not to cover items that might be found necessary (BTW I don’t think there are any). I feel it’s poor customer service, and I won’t be buying another BMW next time I change my car. No goodwill by BMW and no goodwill will be reciprocated!
If you are on social media like Twitter I would publicly ask them there. They might give you a different answer if the public can see it!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:58 AM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
You said....
Quote:
I had booked my X1 for a pre warranty expiry inspection as well as an MOT, and full service.
Did they give you a date? Can you keep it? I have just received an email from my local dealer and they are doing servicing like this as normal. They do not have new car showrooms open (North Oxford Garage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGrant View Post
If you are on social media like Twitter I would publicly ask them there. They might give you a different answer if the public can see it!
Try facebook also.

Before you go any further, you should contact BMW Customer Services on:

0800 325600
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-03-2020 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

This text from my supplying dealer, Sytner UK indicates there is no need for concern. Additionally, my son has his 1 Series booked in for MOT next week and has recvd an email confirming the booking still stands:
A MESSAGE FROM SYTNER GROUP CEO DARREN EDWARDS
'Dear Mr Xxxxxxx,
The UK Government announced on Saturday evening plans for a new four-week lockdown in England, again forcing non-essential retail including car showrooms which re-opened on June 1st, to temporarily close on Thursday 5th November until Wednesday 2nd December, as part of the national effort to decrease COVID-19 case numbers.
At Sytner Group, after many weeks of meticulous planning during April and May, we have been safely greeting customers and colleagues back to our dealerships throughout the summer and have delivered many thousands of new and used cars to our valued customers in a COVID-Secure manner.
In what I believe to be a sensible approach, the Government is however, allowing non-essential retail to operate click and collect or home delivery services. At Sytner Group we have offered these services since re-opening and our current expectation therefore, is that we will be able to continue to handover cars to customers throughout November, in a COVID-Secure way and take new enquiries via our home-based sales teams and through the new Buy Online feature on our website, Sytner.co.uk.
This service allows our customers to reserve a used car for £99, guarantee their part-exchange valuation, apply for finance and buy a car online from the comfort of their home. Once an order has been placed, one of our team will then be in touch to answer any questions and organise handover.
Our service and parts centres are also allowed to remain open as an essential service and we will be managing availability throughout November based on customer demand, but if your car is showing any warning lights and requires a fault to be diagnosed, or if you are concerned about your car for any reason, our teams will be able to accommodate your needs and if you have a current booking there is no need to cancel. We’ve put together a short video to demonstrate how we are ensuring the safety of our customers and colleagues during your service visit, which you can watch here.
It is clear that the country faces another challenging period and that we must all work together to beat the virus, however as a business we have learned a great deal since March 23rd and I am confident that we are able to continue to support our customers, keep everyone safe and whilst it definitely isn’t “business as usual” you can rely upon on us to be there for you when needed.

Kind regards'

Last edited by oakey46; 11-03-2020 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
AUS_Tin_Pusher
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i

You might check with your automobile association if they have put something out about vehicle servicing during a lockdown.

Different country different rules, but here all the service centres were open and there was a bulletin issued by our local automobile chamber of commerce saying they'd determined from the state government that taking a vehicle for service was deemed to be essential travel, both to comply with the manufacturer's warranty and keep a vehicle in operating condition. The automobile association issued similar.

I took a copy of my service booking acknowledgement with me and had no issue justifying the travel at a check point.

Last edited by AUS_Tin_Pusher; 11-05-2020 at 02:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
ttimbo281.50
      11-04-2020, 04:25 AM   #7
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS_Tin_Pusher View Post
You might check with your automobile association if they have put something out about vehicle serving during a lockdown.

Different country different rules, but here all the service centres were open and there was a bulletin issued by our local automobile chamber of commerce saying they'd determined from the state government that taking a vehicle for service was deemed to be essential travel, both to comply with the manufacturer's warranty and keep a vehicle in operating condition. The automobile association issued similar.

I took a copy of my service booking acknowledgement with me and had no issue justifying the travel at a check point.
Respectfully, the OP is in the UK and has already been advised by UK consumers the course of action he should take.
BMW service departments in garages will be open to carry out his needs.

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-04-2020 at 04:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 04:41 AM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
This text from my supplying dealer, Sytner UK indicates there is no need for concern. Additionally, my son has his 1 Series booked in for MOT next week and has recvd an email confirming the booking still stands:
A MESSAGE FROM SYTNER GROUP CEO DARREN EDWARDS
'Dear Mr Xxxxxxx,
The UK Government announced on Saturday evening plans for a new four-week lockdown in England, again forcing non-essential retail including car showrooms which re-opened on June 1st, to temporarily close on Thursday 5th November until Wednesday 2nd December, as part of the national effort to decrease COVID-19 case numbers.
At Sytner Group, after many weeks of meticulous planning during April and May, we have been safely greeting customers and colleagues back to our dealerships throughout the summer and have delivered many thousands of new and used cars to our valued customers in a COVID-Secure manner.
In what I believe to be a sensible approach, the Government is however, allowing non-essential retail to operate click and collect or home delivery services. At Sytner Group we have offered these services since re-opening and our current expectation therefore, is that we will be able to continue to handover cars to customers throughout November, in a COVID-Secure way and take new enquiries via our home-based sales teams and through the new Buy Online feature on our website, Sytner.co.uk.
This service allows our customers to reserve a used car for £99, guarantee their part-exchange valuation, apply for finance and buy a car online from the comfort of their home. Once an order has been placed, one of our team will then be in touch to answer any questions and organise handover.
Our service and parts centres are also allowed to remain open as an essential service and we will be managing availability throughout November based on customer demand, but if your car is showing any warning lights and requires a fault to be diagnosed, or if you are concerned about your car for any reason, our teams will be able to accommodate your needs and if you have a current booking there is no need to cancel. We’ve put together a short video to demonstrate how we are ensuring the safety of our customers and colleagues during your service visit, which you can watch here.
It is clear that the country faces another challenging period and that we must all work together to beat the virus, however as a business we have learned a great deal since March 23rd and I am confident that we are able to continue to support our customers, keep everyone safe and whilst it definitely isn’t “business as usual” you can rely upon on us to be there for you when needed.

Kind regards'
Yes. All UK dealerships are pushing out this stock letter (created by BMW UK) to all clients.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 02:43 AM   #9
AUS_Tin_Pusher
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Respectfully, the OP is in the UK and has already been advised by UK consumers the course of action he should take.
BMW service departments in garages will be open to carry out his needs.
Respectfully, (a) I am aware the OP is in the UK, and (b) I was answering the OP's question:
Quote:
what the situation is if I’m not allowed to get the car to the garage. In theory my journey is non essential
The dealers may be open for servicing but is traveling to the dealer deemed essential or non essential travel.

My post suggests options to determine that.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 03:14 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Respectfully, (a) I am aware the OP is in the UK, and (b) I was answering the OP's question:

The dealers may be open for servicing but is traveling to the dealer deemed essential or non essential travel.

My post suggests options to determine that.
AUS_Tin_Pusher.

What are you going on about? The OP along with the rest of the UK population (66.65 million) will have access to the following rules:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-nati...rom-5-november
Quote:
Businesses and venues which can remain open
Other businesses are permitted to stay open, following COVID-19 Secure guidelines. This includes those providing essential goods or services, including:

Essential retail such as food shops, supermarkets, pharmacies, garden centres, hardware stores, building merchants and off-licences.
Petrol Stations, car repair and MOT services, bicycle shops, and taxi and vehicle hire businesses.
Banks, building societies, post offices, loan providers and money transfer businesses
Funeral directors
Launderettes and dry cleaners
Medical and dental services
Vets and pet shops
Agricultural supplies shops
Storage and distribution facilities
Car parks, public toilets and motorway service areas.
Outdoor playgrounds
From the rules quoted see link above. His journey is essential otherwise he will be breaking the law by not having a MOT. Garages ARE OPEN for MOTs. So it goes without saying he must drive there.

Again from the UK Government web site...
Quote:
11. Travel
If you live in England, you cannot travel overseas or within the UK, unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons, and you should look to reduce the number of journeys you make. However, you can and should still travel for a number of reasons, including:

to buy goods or services from premises that are open, including essential retail.
Also to re-inforce this, I quote the BMW Letter distributed by UK Dealers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
Our service and parts centres are also allowed to remain open as an essential service and we will be managing availability throughout November based on customer demand, but if your car is showing any warning lights and requires a fault to be diagnosed, or if you are concerned about your car for any reason, our teams will be able to accommodate your needs and if you have a current booking there is no need to cancel.
Kind regards

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-05-2020 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #11
AUS_Tin_Pusher
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
11. Travel
If you live in England, you cannot travel overseas or within the UK, unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons, and you should look to reduce the number of journeys you make. However, you can and should still travel for a number of reasons, including:

to buy goods or services from premises that are open, including essential retail.
Perhaps if you'd posted that in response to the OP's specific question below they would have known, and I wouldn't have bought into the matter:

Quote:
what the situation is if I’m not allowed to get the car to the garage. In theory my journey is non essential.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 04:13 PM   #12
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps if you'd posted that in response to the OP's specific question below they would have known, and I wouldn't have bought into the matter:
It would have been better if you had not even bought into in the first place, given that the OP is from the UK and you are from Australia where the rules could be totally different.

Anyway, it appears the OP was having a go and blaming BMW and saying they gave poor customer service instead of investigating and finding the rules and reading them first. I also quote another Australian who said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Rather than spitting the dummy, I'd make a service reservation for a date before warranty expiration, noting the purpose.

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-05-2020 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0