BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Coding Digital Speed Display Help

09-29-2023, 06:46 AM   #1
NemoNeil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Coding Digital Speed Display Help

Hi

First time coding and getting little stuck..

I searched forum and found that to add digital speed display i need to code this:
**** KOMBI - 3000 - BC_DIGITAL_V
**** Change it from nicht_aktiv to aktiv

Now i connect to Esys >> Connenct using F056 >> Select first option (non direct)

*** Connection Successful

Click Read Vehicle Order >> Save >> Click Read ECU >> Save

In the SVT section >> i find "BKOMBI" >> Select CAFD >> Read Coding Data >> the select >> Edit NCD

Now this is where i get stuck and cannot find "BC_DIGITAL_V"

I used the search function and nothing...

strange thing is that all the folders seem same or doesnt give me and clue to what each folder is...

Please someone shed some light

Picture of what i see
https://ibb.co/89fgsrV

THanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 08:25 AM   #2
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoNeil View Post
Hi

First time coding and getting little stuck..

I searched forum and found that to add digital speed display i need to code this:
**** KOMBI - 3000 - BC_DIGITAL_V
**** Change it from nicht_aktiv to aktiv

Now i connect to Esys >> Connenct using F056 >> Select first option (non direct)

*** Connection Successful

Click Read Vehicle Order >> Save >> Click Read ECU >> Save

In the SVT section >> i find "BKOMBI" >> Select CAFD >> Read Coding Data >> the select >> Edit NCD

Now this is where i get stuck and cannot find "BC_DIGITAL_V"

I used the search function and nothing...

strange thing is that all the folders seem same or doesnt give me and clue to what each folder is...

Please someone shed some light

Picture of what i see
https://ibb.co/89fgsrV

THanks
This is because the data is masked by BMW since a certain date. You need Esys Ultra or BimmetUtility to FDL code with e-SYS.

Or.. An older version of e-sys and data.

Curious, what do you mean with digital display, did you retrofit 6WB? Do you have before and after pictures?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 09:27 AM   #3
NemoNeil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
This is because the data is masked by BMW since a certain date. You need Esys Ultra or BimmetUtility to FDL code with e-SYS.

Or.. An older version of e-sys and data.

Curious, what do you mean with digital display, did you retrofit 6WB? Do you have before and after pictures?
Thank Bud...

Before i fork out any money on paid apps (bimmer code\utility), I will try get old version of esys+data.

Do you happen to know which version would work?

unfortunatly i dont have before after pics.. but saw it in this forum before i took down as notes... i also saw a video on you tube being done by bimmer code... its not a big display or anything, just shows what speed your going in numbers... I think its useful to get a quick glance before approaching speed camera as i was always used to looking at digital display

Thanks

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 07:15 AM   #4
limsheng
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X1  [9.00]
Hi, maybe I couldn’t be of any help but I did turned on the digital speed display on the small digital screen as to avoid caught by speed cam in the tunnel ways. Cars are crazy slow there but I know what’s the speed limit there. Down side is the display is too small I might hit car in front when I squint to check my speed.
Coming from my previous cars with larger speed displays I decided to tap in a Chinese hud from the obd I’ll see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 02:12 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

What’s instrument cluster do you have? Does it have the capability for a digital display? If it is an analog cluster…this may be the reason why the coding parameters aren’t there.

This is just a guess because the forum has no clue as to what you’re working with….no pics, no model info, no build date, etc.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 02:38 PM   #6
NemoNeil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
What’s instrument cluster do you have? Does it have the capability for a digital display? If it is an analog cluster…this may be the reason why the coding parameters aren’t there.

This is just a guess because the forum has no clue as to what you’re working with….no pics, no model info, no build date, etc.

Hey, so my main problem is that I'm learning slowly that it's impossible to code with just esys on its own as the FDL is encrypted and has yo be used with Bimmer Utility.

I have a X1 F48 early 2017 model and has a anolog cluster and tiny digital screen which display temps,mpg etc. This is where I want to enable the MPH speedo as also mentioned by above post that it can be done.

Also found this on YT which shows exactly whats i was looking for.
https://youtu.be/7EkFtCRtvPU?si=P8oNzuAMNVJJ3o0W

Unless you can tell me I can use an old esys with old bootloader and the folder won't be encrypted, then only option is to buy a BimmerUtility license. (I also plan to install oem reverse cam, so will need esys to program I assume)

Appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 05:20 AM   #7
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey, so my main problem is that I'm learning slowly that it's impossible to code with just esys on its own as the FDL is encrypted and has yo be used with Bimmer Utility.

I have a X1 F48 early 2017 model and has a anolog cluster and tiny digital screen which display temps,mpg etc. This is where I want to enable the MPH speedo as also mentioned by above post that it can be done.

Unless you can tell me I can use an old esys with old bootloader and the folder won't be encrypted, then only option is to buy a BimmerUtility license. (I also plan to install oem reverse cam, so will need esys to program I assume)

Appreciate your help.
I have older version of esys & psdz data lite where you don't need to pay see attached image.

I think I got it from here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1711432

Edit: For VO-coding / Retrofitting you don't need mapped FDL values because the VO/FA editor is not masked/encrypted
Attached Images

Last edited by mrpingu; 10-02-2023 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 08:10 AM   #8
NemoNeil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have older version of esys & psdz data lite where you don't need to pay see attached image.

I think I got it from here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1711432

Edit: For VO-coding / Retrofitting you don't need mapped FDL values because the VO/FA editor is not masked/encrypted
Thanks Sir..

What im understanding is when i fit my camera i dont need mapped FDL values and should be able to code this straight from ESYS.

Im waiting for someone to send me download links. once i have this i will try old version of esy and loader..

So in both cases, old version of esys and loader will not mask the folders? so does this mean i wont need Bimmer Utility?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 09:39 AM   #9
NemoNeil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Just got the link and was told similar story as Bimmer utitliy now required.

Also mentioned what you said about only ecu coding require bimmerutil and VO and FA coding is not masked.

Now sorry to ask dumb question, but what i want to do on the "KOMBI" cluster as per original post details is ECU coding and require bimmerutil.
Also to enble other features like mirrors folding in when locked. horn on lock and unlock. etc... assume this required bimmerutil.?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 10:27 AM   #10
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
No you don’t need it in either case.
VO-coding, to retrofit you can do it straight into e-sys no BimmerUtility needed.

For FDL coding(like original question) you might need it as mapping is not updated anymore but as you have an “older” car so you are totally fine using an older e-sys version together with Launcher Pro 2.81 and lifetime token.

For newer cars and updated mapping BimmerUtility is required but I am almost 100% sure you can do this without paying, only thing is finding above mentioned version.

It’s just I don’t have the installer but I could send you the lifetime token.

Edit: Maybe I got the version from here, idk, https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1814782

Last edited by mrpingu; 10-02-2023 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 09:46 PM   #11
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:

Appreciate your help.
My two cents: it's much easier using the BimmerCode App (https://bimmercode.app/), plus you can easily code other features without messing around with eSYS.

The full version costs ~45 bucks, and you will need a Bluetooth OBD adapter or an ENET cable + RJ45 phone adapter. I use the last one, which is faster and safer.
      10-03-2023, 03:55 AM   #12
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
My two cents: it's much easier using the BimmerCode App (https://bimmercode.app/), plus you can easily code other features without messing around with eSYS.

The full version costs ~45 bucks, and you will need a Bluetooth OBD adapter or an ENET cable + RJ45 phone adapter. I use the last one, which is faster and safer.
I agree, easy to have it but I would nowadays buy only bimmerutility as it includes an app aswell, then you can use both the advanced features from e-sys with up to date mapping and an app on your phone.

Just need cable adapter for phone.

But if you want to save some money, just grab older e-sys with launcher pro 2.81. Most older cars have older i-step and thus working fine.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2023, 08:47 AM   #13
NemoNeil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks all.

Manage to get it working with older esys and loader

Thanks mrpingu

I agree, bimmer utility will be my next purchase. I'll see how I get on with esys and take it from their.

Appreciate your help everyone.
Appreciate 0