BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Rattle from rear of nearly new X1

06-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Rattle from rear of nearly new X1

I have an almost 3 months old X1 (F48) sDrive 18i xLine DSG auto box, purchased new on a factory order.
The car has now covered 3K miles on UK roads and has gradually developed a rattle that appears to come from around the tailgate/hatch area or possibly, but I think unlikely, from the rear shock absorbers. The noise is becoming more regular and is a medium rattle sound, almost as though something such as a fixing somewhere has become loose. It is evident when driving over any slightly uneven, or rutted, road surface.
I have removed all the trunk/boot contents (tool kit, temp spare wheel etc) and driven with both rear seats folded forward, but that hasn’t really given a sufficient indication of the source of the noise, other than to make me think its possibly from some part of the tailgate. The rear spoiler seems to be of quite flimsy construction and wonder if that may be a potential culprit.
Apart from that, I am very pleased with the car which, with the 3 cylinder 1.5L turbo engine and 7 speed dual clutch 'auto' box is quite economical - overall average consumption (UK gallons) 41.1mpg and, unlike my previous Audi Q3 1.4TFSI, hasn't used any oil.
Before I head back to the dealer with the car, I just wonder if any of you out there have experienced anything similar with the current model X1 and, if so, what was needed to fix it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I remember reading on the forum quite some time back about a loose or missing clip on the parcel shelf retainers that was causing a rattle from the back. Could it be this?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Also, if the rear parcel shelf is just not clipped in correctly (check both sections), there can be a rattle.
Appreciate 1
Leaving14.50
      06-17-2018, 02:50 AM   #4
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
I remember reading on the forum quite some time back about a loose or missing clip on the parcel shelf retainers that was causing a rattle from the back. Could it be this?
Thanks, but I considered that possibility and also removed both sections of the parcel shelf, which now sit in my garage.
EDIT: I’ve just had another look at the rear hatch and noticed that the bump stops on either body side of the opening are adjustable. There is a knurled ring just below the rubber cover and it can be turned to either increase or decrease the amount of contact with the corresponding ‘stops’ on the tailgate. I’ve turned each one anti-clockwise through 6 ‘clicks’, so will see if that resolves the issue. If not, I’ll just return it to the factory setting and drive 31 miles to the dealership for their technician to have a look. Fingers crossed, eh!

Last edited by oakey46; 06-17-2018 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Info added
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

I was the missing clip guy!! Let us know if you find the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
I was the missing clip guy!! Let us know if you find the culprit.
Certainly will.
I'm off to a golf match Monday at a course around 20 miles from home and given the quality of roads around here (Staffs/Derbys border), I shall avoid the A50 trunk route due to bridge building works outside Uttoxeter. The country roads/lanes, typically for the UK, are a decent test to see whether I've been able to effect a 'fix'.
Appreciate 0